"My 15 year old daughter had been complaining of..."

About: Pilgrim Hospital

My 15 year old daughter had been complaining of bad stomach pains for a couple of days. On Thursday 15th Jan we phoned 111 at 8.20pm. They decided she needed to be seen and would ring with an out of hours appt. They phoned at 8.30pm and said to be at the Pilgrim for 9.20pm. We arrived and waited about 10 minutes. We then saw a lovely nurse who talked to her, did a urine sample, blood pressure and temperature. She then examined her and was concerned as she thought it was her appendix. She said she needed to speak to the surgeons and might have to stay overnight and have a scan in the morning. She asked us to wait in the relatives room. After 10 minutes a doctor found us and we went into another room and my daughter was asked to explain everything again. The doctor mentioned a urine sample but we said she had alrready had one. She went on to examine her stomach (very different) from the nurse and said she didn't think it was her appendix. She said to monitor it and see her GP if no better as may need a scan in the future but it wasn't urgent and we were fine to go home. We were just about to leave the room when the nurse came back saying she wondered where we had gone. She had even phoned my husband at home to get my mobile number and told him we had 'gone wondering'. The nurse explained she had been talking to the surgeons and the doctor said she didn't know why because it wasn't her appendix and she was going home. As you can imagine my daughter was extremely confused because one minute she was possibly staying in and the next she was going home. The doctor said there was nothing on the screen and the nurse said she hadn't updated it. When the doctor got us from the relatives room I just assumed it was who the nurse was going to see. I don't understand why we were called twice and why 2 opinions could be so different.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››