"Home Care for Disabled brother"

About: Bradford / Bradford Social services Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust NHS Bradford City CCG

(as a relative),

My brother in his mid fifties is a paraplegic and lives with my now elderly mum in her seventies who until the last 6-7 years has been his main carer. District nurses now attend to assist him once every other day with toilet duties which initially was a huge help for my mum. However, recently the level of care has really deteriorated to the point with the district nurse managers are refusing to all the nurses to assist him the way he has always been used to and finds easy to cope with and expecting my mum to start doing this aspect of work again. I'm furious!

My mum is elderly with arthritis and simply can not do all the lugging about anymore. This appaulling level of cover undermines my brother's dignity and recently both my brother and mum have been talking about suicide as they simply are finding the stress of the situation too much to cope with and feel trapped, undignified and totally uncared for.

I am scared stiff of one or both of them possibly taking such drastic action and I am disgusted that an occupation of care and trust has left two very vulnerable members of my family feeling completely uncared for and unable to trust the very people who are there to help. Why do people go into nursing if they don't care! I have now had to involve social services and inform the local mental health team in the hope that just someone will offer some dignity and respect to my brother who through no fault of his own, has had to endure a very personal intrusion with toilet issues for the best part of his life and now at a time when his mum can no longer assist is made to feel even more humiliated and consumed by the stress this has created.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Bradford District Care Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our services. We are extremely concerned about your difficult experience with services and would invite you to contact us so we can discuss your concerns in person.

Please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service Team on 01274 251440.

  • Sheeraa thinks this response is helpful
    {{helpful-1}} other {{helpful-1 == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} so too

Update posted by Sheeraa (a relative)

Since posting this item I have spoken with PALS and put my brother in touch with this service. He has spoken with PALS together with my mum, and feeling more assured that their predicament is now being taken more seriously.

I am prepared to take a step back now that discussions are taking place and things appear to be improving. However, should there be a deterioration of care such as the above in future I will not hesitate to take matters further, Thank you.