"Hospital Feedback."

About: Barnet General Hospital

For a urological ailment (haematuria) which developed around the 20th of December I visited the Urgent care centre at Finchley memorial. The nurse took 1 look at my samples and called up the consultant at Barnet hospital. I was told to immediately attend the A&E. I went to the A&E in the evening and was seen by a consultant in another speciality (understandable), who too saw the samples and referred me to an immediate CT scan. I was asked to come to CT the next morning at 9am again in A&E and was assured that the urological consultant would look at the results to say if I needed an immediate treatment or outpatient one. I reached A&E promptly and the CT was done by 10am. Then: 1) I waited 5 hours in the A&E to see the next doctor. 2) The next doctor was for bones. His questioning suggested that he had not read anything on the file - OK considering it's an A&E but not OK considering the assurance from day before. 3) This was more frustrating as his questioning was ab-initio, and sounded as if he doubted my symptoms. All I could suggest was that I can pee right there and he could have a look for himself. 4) After a forced look through the documentation, he said that he would have to refer me to an urgent urology clinic - that I should go home and he would have the appointments setup. 5) 2 days later, I called up the central appointments office and no requests had been received from the A&E. I was worried as the amount of blood loss was increasing significantly. So I called up A&E reception who had no clue as to what the doctor had wanted to do. I then called PALS who confirmed no referral has been forwarded and that they will try to remind the A&E. 6) X-mas hits and I have spent the festive week with blood in my urine. Today is the 1st of Jan. My symptoms have cleared on their own, thankfully. I don't know why I had significant blood in my urine and my GP doesn't know what happened to my results (as they don't have access to hospital records, apparently), and I can only thank God that nothing worse happened. I don't know who to blame but I think the communication to me was shoddy - 1) the first A&E doc should not have committed on a look by the urology consultant if he wasn't sure. I would have immediately gone to a private consultant. 2) the second A&E doc should have read the file and then have told me what he was really going to do. 3) the hospital should make sure that test results in the system are available to all relevant users, GP among them. 4) There should be someone in the hospital system to whom a user can talk about their case holistically. I was left repeating an increasing long history of each contact with the NHS to every next person I had to speak to - the central appointments office, then urology reception, then A&E reception and then PALS. 5) Today I don't know who to contact.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Barnet General Hospital

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to investigate this matter further so we would be grateful if you could send further details to rf.communications@nhs.net. Additionally, further details about our complaints procedure can be found on our website: https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/contact-us/how-to-make-a-complaint/

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful