"1st Time for Everything"

About: Royal Hallamshire Hospital / General surgery

(as the patient),

I was admitted to Floor i2 of The Royal Hallamshire Hospital on 18th May for a jaw relignment. This was to be my first time staying at hospital and my first operation.

I was a little scared but excited that my treatment was at it's final hurdle (3 years with a brace can get boring) All my treatment was supposed to be over within 18months!

I arrived at 7:00am Monday morning and was the 1st Op on that ward. Everyone was polite and attentative sorting paperwork, fitting me those sexy socks and paper pants :P My operation went smoothly, my surgeon saw me often before and afer and kept me informed on things that were happening.

Unfortunatly coming out of the Recovery ward i was not informed that my mother had been in the Day Room waiting for the 4hours i was under. I was asked if there was anyone i wanted to ring, but not that she was in the building despite her saying she had told them where she was and that a few nurses had seen her in there.

The night was restless as I'de excpected, but it seemed as though they targeted you during the night, as soon as you where dozing off they'de come wake you up asking if you wanted more painkillers, a drink or just if you were generally doing okay. This happened ALL night and for the Tuesday morning too.

I had one of the T.V and phone combos on which my mother didn't manage to reach me though, she rung i2 reception and asked the nurses if i was okay and that she'd be coming to see me later (i was having my drains took out at the time) I never recieved this message.

I left the Tuesday afternoon. Despite alot of complaining in this i had a successful operation and recovered very quickly for what i'de had done. All is well and i am more then happy with the results ^.^

Big shout out to my Surgeon Mr.Yates, my anaethetists and the nurses on Floor i2! Thanks.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››