"Not looking forward to having a vasectomy in any..."

Not looking forward to having a vasectomy in any case but friends I had spoken to said that they had been in and out in around 20 minutes - so I figured that my nerve would hold out for that long. My appointment was for 1pm - but the letter in fairness did say that this would not be my surgery time. However - after sitting in the waiting room for two hours while it filled and emptied twice I decided to check at reception if I had fallen off the radar somewhere along the line. I was told by reception staff that they thought they were 'waiting for bedrooms' but I couldn't see why I would need a bedroom given the in-and-out nature of my procdure. In any case, a staff member collected me from the waiting room a few minutes later and took me to another room to be 'admitted' - temperature / blood pressure etc - and then told me that it was unlikely I would be seen before teatime. My wife, who does not drive, had opted to come to the hospital with me. It now being after 3pm we had the issue that our daughter would be coming home from school and there would be nobody at home. Staff suggested we go home and come back at 5pm by which time things should have sorted themselves out, so without complaint at this stage - these things happen - we left and went home. I had eaten and drunk little by this point - partly nerves and partly because I have a slightly weak bladder and didn't fancy any additional discomfort during the procedure - whenever it might actually take place. We made arrangements for our daughter to stay at a friend's house until we got home - expecting that it wouldn't be very late as surely now I'd be at the front of the queue. Within minutes of arriving back at the hospital at 5pm the staff who had admitted me earlier took me down to another waiting room where a couple of guys who had had the same procedure were waiting to be discharged. They too had been at the hospital since 1pm and told me that I would probably have an even longer wait as the surgeon 'wouldn't be back before 6pm'. I was asked to get changed and wait to be called. I sat in that waiting room by myself for about 1.5 hours during which I had no contact with anybody at all. It was only because I texted my wife in the reception waiting room and asked her to ask if she could come and keep me company that I had company for that final 30 minutes of waiting for something to happen. By 7pm I'd had enough - I was tired and had a banging headache and no light at the end of the tunnel. I asked my wife to go to reception and ask if we would be likely to be waiting very much longer. She was told that the surgeon was in theatre and that with a bit of luck I might get seen in an hour or so. At this news I couldn't bear to wait any longer and asked to be discharged - tired, hungry and with a banging headache. A memorable day - for all the wrong reasons - and very little by way of apology or desire to remediate the ameliorate the situation in any measurable way.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Euxton Hall Hospital

Thank you for your comments and we are very sorry to learn of your poor experience at Euxton Hall Hospital. We take such feedback very seriously, and our Ward Sister has attempted to contact you on a number of occasions to discuss these concerns in more detail. Should you wish to discuss your complaint with Sister Bailey, then please contact Rosie Caven on 01257 237011 or at rosie.caven@ramsayhealth.co.uk to arrange a convenient time for a call to take place.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful