"Pediatric help"

About: City Hospital campus / Paediatrics

(as a relative),

I have custody of my grandson who is aspergers. I contacted the community pediatrician for a telephone help, which was promised as the school had contacted me regarding his behavior and lack of control both verbally and physically. We were both very concerned.

Three weeks later I telephoned for the second time as I had not heard from the pediatrician, this again was the result of another incident at the school and their problem of not knowing how to deal with him. On this occasion the Dr. reassured me that they would contact the school and the other agencies involved prior to my next appointment in November. This was not done and it is now three weeks since the appointment and there has still not been any communication as promised. There was another incident at school yesterday.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us. Nottingham University Hospitals apologise for any delay in communication on our part regarding your grandson. We suggest you get in touch with the central admin team of our community paediatric service, they can be contacted on 0115 969 1169 Ext 76988. The admin team will be able to get in touch with the paediatrician concerned urgently - or if they are not available our head of service Dr Fillmore or clinical pathway lead Dr Marder will look into it for them.

However, from the circumstances you describe it seems the paediatrician is mainly passing information on, and trying to access the services who can be of help here - what may really be needed is help via school, support services for children with challenging behaviour or the child and adolescent mental health services.

The right service for you and your grandson will depend both on where you live, and your grandson's specific needs. There is a new structure for accessing these services in both the city of Nottingham and the county area. Your grandson's school should be able to point you in the right direction, or our community paediatric service can if you make contact with us on the above number.