"Recurring urine infection possible incontinence "

About: Ayr Hospital / Paediatrics

(as a parent/guardian),

My daughter almost 8 has been suffering from uti's since the age of 2, She has constantly been on antibiotics for this and has repeatedly been prescribed seemingly the wrong one. The dr she sees at the clinic hasn't once apologised for this apparent mistake and is refusing to refer her to incontinence clinic even though my daughter can pee herself several times a day and be unaware of it until it is to late. As you can imagine, this is becoming a very stressful factor of her life with the age she is now at. How can I go about getting a referral without going through the Dr at the clinic?

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Eunice Goodwin, Patient Feedback Manager for NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Quality Improvement and Governance Team, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

picture of Eunice Goodwin

Dear Lmurphy89,

What a shame for someone so young to have this situation when she should be totally care free and just worrying if Santa will bring her the present she now really ‘needs’. It must also distress you greatly to feel powerless to change the situation for your daughter.

There are a few things we can do. Firstly, if your daughter is at a main stream school, you could speak to the school nurse. She may be able to help and she can also discuss the situation with your daughter’s GP. As far as I understand, the GP can refer your daughter to the continence service. Although I realise that process may be quite slow and you may have tried this already.

My preferred option on this occasion would be to contact me either by phone – 01563 826222 or email (eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk) with your daughters details (Either CHI number or date of birth, and her name and address). I will then contact the Paediatric Continence Specialist Nurse and ask her opinion about the best way forward.

I hope this is satisfactory to you. I will also pass this to the managment team to raise within the service, but again, this is easier if I have your daughter's details. I do hope you get in touch with me. I am sorry you have both had to find your way through this and perhpas feel that there is more that could have been done but let’s see if we can get you the help you need.

Kind regards,


  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful