"The lack of compassion is disgraceful!"

About: Queen's Hospital (Romford)

After a laparoscopic cystectomy on 20/10/14 I began experiencing severe pelvic pain immediately after the operation, I left it a week as after 8 laparoscopy's I know that it takes time to heal. By the following Monday the pain was worse and showed no signs of improvement, after a 6 hour wait I was told to go home and I would receive a phone call regarding an urgent scan I then asked what to do in terms of pain relief and was told to continue paracetamol and ibruprofen- although I kept saying it was doing nothing. The next morning I missed the call 10 mins earlier it then took me an hour and a half of constant ringing to finally get through! After the scan at midday I waited a few hours to see the doctor who informed me the scan had shown a cyst on my right ovary... Clearly missed during my operation! (And not the first time either!) the dr wanted to admit me for an MRI but had to call the consultant first, his advice was to go home and I would receive a phone call with a time to come in - fortunately my sister was there to witness this conversation. The next morning still in a significant amount of pain I called the ward (cornflower B) to enquire as to what was happening regarding the MRI, I was told to ring the MRI department upon doing so they had no request for an MRI. I then rang the ward to see what was happening and was rudely told "well I can't speak for the doctors" Not happy with this I contacted PALS, who were brilliant and called me straight back. The ward had told them I refused to stay and left.. Which was a blatant lie. PALS then said I needed to go to my gp so they can send me for an MRI or return to the ward where I will be admitted and have the MRI done. As I was still in severe pain I headed back to a&e to start the whole process again, in a&e I received diclofenac which for the first time in 10 days actually took the edge of my pain. After seeing a Dr on cornflower b i kept being told it was chronic pelvic pain and was again told to go to my gp for an MRI. the dr also couldn't find my notes from the previous day - very convenient as there is dispute over me leaving! After being reduced to tears - which is humiliating to say the least the dr then decided to run a blood test, I was still waiting to be seen and the pain began increasing again, I stood at the desk for near on 10 mins waiting to request pain relief. The results showed I have an infection.... 3 days after I first presented with pelvic pain. I waited over 8 hrs that day and the whole time there was a bowl of bloody vomit in the waiting room which no one came to clear. This morning I woke in an awful state and took myself to my GP who has given me a second course of antibiotics and stronger pain relief. There was no sensitivity or compassion in the slightest, communication is horrendous, and I will never recommend this hospital and will be seeking a referral to see a new specialist elsewhere. If you cannot show compassion towards patients your in the wrong job!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Queen's Hospital

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I am sorry to hear about your experience in our hospital which does not sound acceptable, especially if our staff were rude to you and the doctor could not find your notes. I know you have contacted PALS before but I would urge you to get in touch with them again as I need more information to be able to investigate further. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk Yours sincerely, Stephen Burgess Medical Director

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful