"Lack of care, empathy and respect"

About: Dewsbury & District Hospital

Mum was unwell and was admitted to Dewsbury Hospital, on a Thursday, she was identified having an infection and admitted to SSU, short stay unit where she was left for a week due to ward bed shortages. In that week she was given IV anti biotics to kill the infection. Blood cultures were taken daily but nothing showed up. She was not eating, was sick when she drank and had severe diahorrea due to antibiotics. Daily, we visited the hospital twice, Mum wasn't even well enough at the weekend to try to get herself a drink and when we asked to encourage her to drink were told we don't have the staff over weekends, if you have concerns come in and do it yourself. We did, all weekend. We constantly had to ask to give her the anti sickness drug to stop her being sick, just to keep water down and for paracetamol to get her temperature down 37- 39 its highest. We asked daily when she would be sent to a ward but we're told there were still no beds on ward 2. On Tuesday a nurse who has absolutely the worst attitude towards caring I have ever seen, was assigned to my mum. My daughter told her at 4.30pm she felt her nan was really poorly, in a condiscending manner she said what do you think is the matter with her ? She didn't do anything. When I arrived two hours later she was worse, sweating profusely and obviously distressed. I fetched this nurse who was responsible for mum back in and immediately she did her obs and called the out of hours doctor. I complained she should have done something sooner,she said I didn't know she was like this, I said that's because you didn't want to know two hours ago when my daughter alerted you, but dismissed her. The doctor was very good, he felt mum may have had a heart attack and arranged an ecg and drugs to settle her. At that point I asked if Dewsbury had a private wing where we could pay for better treatment. I was told no. By now I was getting beyond to see improvements. Mum had been in 5 days and looked the same.we were told it was suspected septisiemia and that the conditions were all normal and she would be better in the next couple of days. Thankfully she improved slightly by Thursday pm, doctors said they were putting her on to normal antibiotics and if she continued the same could go home on the Monday. we were elated. She still didn't seem herself but they said the infection had been so severe, in older people it can take a couple of weeks to come round,she would be better in her home to recouperate. Mum was moved to ward 2 on Friday ,the nurse said the same and we looked to go home on Monday. She ate Friday pm and Saturday and vomited profusely, fetching blood up Sunday. Family were then told all to go in on Sunday,the infection was back. On Monday they gave her 4 days and that's what she got. Mum died in Ward 2 who were very good in the end. Dignity Respect and Care ? None from some in SSU - Heartbreaking.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Dewsbury & District Hospital

we are very sorry for your loss. We will be pleased to arrange for your concerns to be investigated if you would like to contact us directly.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful