"Stressed out and exhausted, I decided to discharge myself"

About: New Cross Hospital / General medicine

(as the patient),

After being admitted to acute meds by my GP upon arrival things ran smoothly. Short wait as expected I was then told I had to be admitted on to A. m. u was left waiting till early hours of the morning on a chair for a bed. No one seemed interested in whether I had eaten after a 7hr sitting and waiting.

Finally after getting a bed on a ward got settled to then be woken after half hour sleep by a very loud disturbing patient who commenced noisily throughout the whole night. By now it's morning, cleaners are around soon time for breakfast off a stroppy lady. Drs arrive set a plan for the day which doesn't actually fall in place so ends up I'm staying another night in hospital.

Yet another sleepless night as nurses ignored a patient in the next bed to me who I witnessed ask for the bed pan more than 3 x. She did keep asking to be lifted up the bed as felt uncomfortable but I clearly heard this lady ask for bed pan to get told ok ok that is clearly not the answer to her question. She is requesting the bed pan but the night nurses didn’t seem interested in what she was saying clearly hence why the lady in the end resulted in wetting herself to then press her buzzer again and after a long wait for the nurse to come and state there is other patients yet before you left the room and turn the lights out. You were fully aware the lady had wet herself so why not assist her rather than ignore her once again she was left until I pressed my buzzer when the nurse came I explained she's been ignored her excuse was there is other patients which I was told following day by other staff there was our bay of 6 then in the other 3 so it seemed to me it was just an excuse.

So having had to experience all this I became distressed not only exhausted when I was supposed to be resting and getting better I then saw drs who told me my results explained I needed another test what could be done as a out patient but I needed to see a consultant then I could go home as requested. I was left the whole day no consultant came to then orders tea but at the same time porters come along to take me to another ward which no one had notified neither me or the nurses about I'm then taken to renal ward which had a highly offensive smell and a patient suffering from dementia shouting very loud. No fault of the patients that they are in these positions but I was clearly not in the same position and did not have a renal problem. To then be told by a renal dr I don't know much about you as I'm a renal dr.

After my 3 day experience going from bad to worse and myself being very stressed out and exhausted I decided to discharge myself as I felt I was in more harm than good being on a renal ward with diarrhoea patients, which since being at home I have had myself. I think I picked it up from hospital.

I am fully aware funding is low an shortage of staff but we all need to remember when doing a job such as a nurse it should be done from the heart. Some nurses were lovely mainly day staff were always there to help but that case was otherwise for night staff I met.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust

Dear Tea

I was sorry to read your comments relating to your patient experience at our hospital.

To enable me to look further into your concerns, I would be grateful if you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362 who can assist you further.

Kindest regards

Carol Bott

Head of Patient Experience and Public Involvement