"thank-you but..."

About: Poole General Hospital / Accident and emergency Poole General Hospital / Paediatrics

(as a carer),

My son (10 months) has been very ill recently and we kept taking him to the doctor nearly every week, only to be told it was a virus. But still he wasn't getting any better, with a temp of over 40 and not eating but still drinking. So we just left him, as we were told it was a virus. But one morning, we couldn't wake him. We rang the surgery, who told us to take him to A&E, where they saw to him straight away.

They found out his blood sugar levels were too low and he was having a hypo and was unconscious. They took bloods which wasn’t easy, and gave him an injection. After 10 mins, he was alert again. We were then left waiting for about 2 hours in a room, as there were no beds on the ward! And all they had to give him was a couple of biscuits! After we got a bed we stayed the night and the next morning we got discharged, as the Dr said "oh he's smiling, so he must be alright!" Thinking back about this, has made me really angry, as when he is ill he still smiles!

Anyway, about 3 days later, we took him back to Dr's. The GP wasn’t happy, so he sent us to assessment ward. The Dr there was not very helpful at all. We told him that my son had had a temp for 2 weeks and he was going to send him home and then i said why has he had that he’d a temp for that long? He said, “oh i thought you said a day!” He obviously hadn’t listened!

We were then admitted and ended up staying another week! during our stay the nurses were very nice and helpful and i had a proper bed to stay in and my boyfriend was allowed to sleep on sofa if he wanted the room was cleaned every day with a very nice cleaner. (who asked if it was alright if she could come in).

The only down side, i think, from being on the ward was that the Dr's came in at 11pm! to take some bloods and my son got very distressed they tried 5 times and he had bruised hands and arms but i don't see why they couldn't wait until morning?

Also there was a little boy with d&v and he was allowed to run up and down corridor and he even came into sons room! The next day, my son was vomiting but they sent him home still, as they don’t want infection to spread, which is understandable as he would be more comfortable at home.

i would like to say thank-you to paediatrics on, i cant remember the ward, but its the first one you come to after the corner (if that makes sense to anyone?) and everyone who looked after him at poole hospital.

but i think the dr's should have done a bit more research with my son, than just saying he looked happy, and listening to the parents and also thank-you to A&E staff!

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››