"A very dangerous situation"

About: Scunthorpe General Hospital

My 84 year old mother suffers from Alzheimers. She was admitted to Scunthorpe hospital after she accidentally took an overdose of her medication. The medication slowed her heart down. She was moved from CDU (where the staff were really helpful and brilliant) to the Coronary Heart Unit. My brother, his wife and I visited mum tonight. We were mortified to find mum laying on her bed with her dossette box, complete with tablets, inches away from her. I went to the nurses desk and asked if they knew that mum had taken an overdose. They replied 'Yes'. I told them her medication was on top of her cupboard. A nurse immediately came and put it in the lock up box. I told her I was shocked. This was a very dangerous situation. There was nothing to stop mum taking the remaining tablets. Where has common sense gone on this ward? Mum was alone in the bay when we arrived, there were no other patients in. She was crying her heart out. I haven't seen her cry for over a year when my aunty died. For most of our visit, we heard staff chatting about their personal lives. Whatever happened to 'care' on this ward? Shame on you.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Scunthorpe General Hospital

Hello, thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry to hear about your mother's experience. Your comments were shared with the relevant senior managers but it would be difficult to look into this properly without more information - please could I ask you to contact our patient advise and liaison team if you haven't already? You can reach them by phone on 01724 290132 or by email on nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net Kind regards, Sarah Mainprize

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful