"Problems with my crown"

About: NHS Western Isles

(as the patient),

Repeated Visits to an NHS Dentist to refit a badly fitting crown which would not stay in situ .... final visit I was told the bad news that it couldn't be refitted as the root was cracked and that I had an infection in the root

Treatment offered:

Dentist: I will pack it so that no particles of food lodge in it which he proceeded to do

Patient (me): "what about the infection surely that needs treating "

Dentist: "The Infection will go when the root is taken out "

So here I am with a gumboil type infection that keeps bursting and filling up again

This is obviously being swallowed by myself at times

My NHS dentist who created this problem in the first place has retired so I am not registered with an NHS Dentist so have to travel to a Private Dentist at great cost

This is pretty difficult after all I did pay the full cost for the crown ( nigh on £300 ) when fitted ..this is the 3rd crown from the same dentist which has left my mouth with gaps all three were problematic ...a private crown done in 1971 lasted until 1997 so why shouldn't these NHS crowns be of the same duration?

I may have to have implants now as I can not tolerate a denture. This was why I took the dentists advice at the time and had crowns fitted ... I should not now be in this position ...

I feel ill now and feel that I am being poisoned by this infection and was not offered an appointment or antibiotics. This is surely malpractice and in my opinion should be followed up via legal advice.

I certainly can't afford the Implant procedure being a senior citizen. It will actually put me in considerable debt, but for my own sanity & comfort I feel its the only way to proceed otherwise my social life is going to remain non existent.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Maggie Fraser, Communications Manager, NHS Western Isles

Dear Jube

We are very sorry to hear your experience of our dental services has not been a positive one.

We would firstly advise you to seek medical advice without delay if you are feeling unwell.

With regard to the matters you have raised, in this case, we would refer you to our complaints procedure, so that this matter can be looked into in detail and investigated appropriately. We would encourage you to contact our Complaints Officer at:

Health Board Offices

37 South Beach


Isle of Lewis


01851 708033


Kind regards

Maggie Fraser

Communications Manager

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful