"Upset by care during day surgery"

About: Phoenix Hospital

(as the patient),

Was told to arrive by 8.30am for corrective surgery of bunion carried out by local anaesthesia. Woman on reception told me that they were not ready for me & pointed for me to wait behind a set of doors. I went through to sit in some sort of waiting area. I didn't see a soul for 20 minutes, so went back to the receptionist, who barked at me to go back and wait until someone came for me. I nearly went home and oh boy, I wished I had! Luckily, a nurse assistant turned up and took me through to the day surgery unit.

After getting on the trolley and being prepared, I found to my cost there wasn't a call-bell system. You had to shout and shout for assistance etc, if staff weren't in the area, which was more often than not. The tea and coffee offered was undrinkable! It was stored in flasks and 'stewed' with no fresh milk, only pre-packed UHT sachets.

I felt that the nurse who carried out the local anaesthetic was clumsy, rude and did not seem competent at the task. I believe that she caused me unnecessary pain. Any comment to her on my pain, discomfort was dismissed or ignored. She then gave me an appointment date for the removal of the dressing a week later than required. When I asked her why, she told me I had no choice, as she was too busy away on a conference. This seemed more important to her than patient care and comfort.

After the surgery, I tried to discuss this with her further, but she kept shouting at me until I cried. I had to issue a warning of complaint to her and she marched off to get the surgeon, who agreed to see me at the appropriate time.

I was left with no call access for help to dress or even able to reach my clothes. I had to shout at the top of my voice for ages until a nurse appeared. She asked why hadn't I got dressed and I pointed to my clothes that were unreachable to me. She told me I would need to use my mobile phone to get my transport home and walked out.

As I was last on the surgical list, another nurse came though and said I had to wait outside on a seat. She said she had to turn the area back to a waiting room for the afternoon appointments. I was not offered any help to do this or anything to place my foot on. Luckily, I managed to grab a footstool, thanks to a waiting visitor.

At no time after my operation was my blood pressure, temperature and pulse taken. I feel that nothing was done for me, except shouting or rudeness.

Post-operatively, I suffered an extreme hospital acquired infection in the wound, which took months of antibiotics and good care from my GP's to eventually resolve. Walking is still a painful problem and I still can't return to work.

More about:
Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››