"No coordination - high anxiety stress and..."

About: Lister Hospital

Came in for an operation on the 1st Ocotober. Got a call on the preassesment date 7 days before the opp. The lady was friendly and helpful and said I would have to go for a hearing test before my operation and would give me an update on the time. No call in between back and got no call 3 days before my treatment to tell me what time I was in. Had to chase the hospital up the next day. The lady was surprised and said she didn't know what was going on. She said she would give me a call 8am in the morning. Got no call till 9:30. Said she didn't know what happened but I and said she was still trying to find out whether I needed to go in for a hearing test. 11:50am they called and said could I come for a hearing test at 11am when I queried whether this was the next day they stated no the appointment was today. When I stated I had already told them I was at work in Hitchin and 11am was gone already they said arrive as quickly as possible. Got to lister no problem here hearing test went fine and was out quickly- but when I asked what the results were there was no response. Got no information as to the procedure how long it may take, scarring etc. Next day I was in for 07:30am then got told as my MRSA swabs were 2 1/2 days out of date that my operation would have to be last in the day so around 3pm. Nurses and doctors were apologetic, but again showed no coordination in the service. Told me I could go home and come back - still couldn't have food but could drink something which I did . Came back in and had a new cubicle. Supposed to have 2 gowns to put on one on back and one on front. Only 1 gown was there folded up and it looked like someone had had a heart attack on it - blood stains everywhere. Nurse got me a clean gown. No update inbetween as to what was happening - went in for about 3:30pm came out at 4:30-4:45pm. As no food wanted to get out asap - nurse came around had a look at me - doctor had gone through medication I needed and aftercare so I was happy. Discharged myself and went home. around 8pm had continuous bleeding out the ear. called the recovery line - rang for 5 minutes no answer. rang another number they said as I discharged myself I had to go to A+E. Went to A+E cam in around 9:30. 11:50pm hadn't been seen by anyone. Asked the nurse at reception where I was on the list and they said knock on the door and asked the nurse and she couldn't see on the system - 85 patients they had in that night so queues were long but no one had a clue when they were going to be seen - no board or ticketing system where you could have a priority number and queue number - seems simple right? peoples mood in a+e was not good. knocked on door + nurse said I was top of the priority list -- thanked her. +sat back down. 3 more people went in ahead of me. got in around 12:30. Rederessed the bandaging - and blood kept seeping - as wasn't bandaged correctly - rebandaged - out at 2:00am - home at 2:15am -another lovely day at the lister

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Lister Hospital

This sounds like a lot of things didn't happen as they should have and warrant further investigation. We wonder if you would be willing to email us at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net so we can get all of this looked in to - and at the very least, an apology given to you over what happened?

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful