"A shocking experience from start to finish"

About: Royal Free Hospital

When arriving at the lister I was sat in the waiting area with no attention and not moved to a curtained area until I started vomiting a lot. My wife was told to push me down to the area herself and push the gas and air tank at the same time, whilst the nurse walked off and left her to it. I then spent about 6 hours in a lot of pain in a bed with the policy "we will give you some pain killers when in major pain and not before" After a couple of hours they knew I was in major pain every hour and instead getting pain killers ready they would wait until i asked then look for keys, find someone to sign forms, find a doctor then after punishing me for 30 mins each time given me something. At one point I asked a nurse for some pain killers as in major pain and she said "in a couple of hours". There was one nurse there to be fair who was Irish and who was great. I was moved to an observation ward at 4pm and seen by a doctor 5 hours. I was then moved to a general ward. In there a couple of nurses worked very hard and the others were very rude, treated you very poorly and really didn't care. There was an old guy next to me who called for a nurse as his back was hurting and wanted to be helped. A unpleasant nurse came over and told him to stop calling for a nurse as she had to have her lunch as did all other staff and she would come back in an hour to help him. I was told my scan was at 8am. The nurse told me it might not be today now. I explained I had not eaten for 30 hours and tomorrow would mean over 2 days with no food. She told me that is just the way it goes. I got seen at 4pm which took 2 minutes to do. I had to walk there and back as the porter couldn't find a wheel chair. I then pushed for the results as wanted to go home and wanted my next load of pain killers as didn't want the sudden pain to start again. I was told I couldn't have my pain killers as the porter didn't bring my notes back. I then waited for notes and doctor to tell me what's what. Every time I had to go to the desk and push for answers. I sat in my bed and watched the doctor and nurses have a general chat whilst doing nothing. At 6pm it was agreed my notes and scan was in but no doctor to be seen. Eventually he arrived about 8pm and literally said "the stone is in you bladder now and will pass naturally". I asked him if that would be painful and he sniggered whilst smillng and replied "oh yes, very painful". That was it apart from "you can go and we will see someone in 3 weeks". No medication for pain, no advice, no nothing. Also whilst in my bed i noticed a man doing some wiring on the balcony of the 8th floor on a ladder just outside my window by himself. If the ladder went or he slipped he would have gone over the balcony and died. I explained to the head nurse I do a lot of work with risk assessments and he is serious breaking h&s laws and she should get someone to stop him. Her reply was "they have there own risk assessment department and it is not her business."

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Lister Hospital

We were sorry to read about your recent experiences. However the Lister Hospital is not part of the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. You will need to direct your comments to the East and North Herts NHS Trust. Kind regards

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Recently read