"South Liverpool Walk in to ESAU Sunday 14th..."

About: The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

Well treated and received at South Liverpool walk in where I had a short wait for triage. There were about 20 patients there by 09.15 a.m. when we arrived. Triage staff were efficient and business like - recognised that I was suffering acute abdominal pain and immediately prioritised me to the Nurse Practitioner. Who after thorough examination and questioning referred me to ESAU, my husband to provide transport. Went to ESAU and was allocated a bed space by a charming group of staff, and waited. On reflection some basic information giving about what the process was going to be would have been helpful - all I knew was that was going to have a scan? Nurse filled out the Care Assessment document , which I assume was going to form th basis of my care and treatment plan.. I was then informed that I would be taken for X ray. Porter came and did that but wasn't certain about which X ray and we were sent to the main one in the hospital but he, on further inquiry found we should have been at our first port of call - the A and E X ray. X rays completed i waited for a porter - none. Asked one who was standing nearby, 'not my job' but he got someone else I returned to ESAU and waited. eventually a newly qualified House Officer, very nonchalantly came to see me after quite a wait - approx. 2 p.m. - asked me a few questions - told me the consultant name who was operating - a big operation and wouldn't be able to make any decisions unti this evening. Said I wasn't to have a scan - they knew I had gallstones from my attendance and scan last year - but were unlikely to do anything.. Adding that they had had to go back to Syria to get their gallstones fixed. My husband was told that a decision wouldn't be made until the evening so arranged to go and eat and rerun about 6 p.m. After my husband had left i settled down, still in pain and tried to rest, I had not slept since the previous evening when the pain started at 7 p.m. I was then told that I would be able to go home later with some pain relief . My husband returned at 6 p.m. spoke to the nursing station who confirmed this. They provided the promised pain relief and said that my I would receive an appointment to see the consultant - nothing as yet. I am still in great discomfort but coping with help of the pain relief. My first episode was 15 years ago when I was (allegedly) put on a waiting list by a consultant, a further episode last year and now a very acute episode this year. Syill no sense of it being resolved,. My mother had gallstones and died of pancreatic cancer - her consultant said there was a link. so I remain concerned. This is written by my husband as I am in discomfort. May I compliment the nursing staff for their concern and the Sister ' who saw me when I left and provided the pain relief.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from The Royal Liverpool University Hospital

Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to the Royal. We will pass your compliments on to the nursing staff. We're sorry to hear you did not feel fully informed about your care. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service. They can be contacted by emailing pals@rlbuht.nhs.uk or by calling 0151 706 4903/2265, or via typetalk 18001 0151 706 4903/2265. We wish you the best in your recovery.