"Throwing up blood."

About: Ilkeston Community Hospital

Recently I threw up quite a lot of bright reb blood. As im only 17, I paniced a lot. My mum strongly suggested I went up ilkestons MIU. When I arrived the lady at reception was extremely helpful and could tell I was worried. To this lady, I thank you so much for a warm, welcoming smile. It really reasured me. When I got in to see the nurse she took my blood preasure informed it that it was fine. After talking another nurse for a second opinion she told me that she was worried that I was throwing up blood, but unfortunately, being a minor injuries unit they cannot help me any further with my problem. She said that she strongly suggests I see an out of hours doctor that night. As I had no means of transport she offered to pay for a taxi to Derby Royal hospital but it would mean id become stuck in Derby early hours in the morning. Obviously I said I couldn't do that, so she booked me an appointment for the next morning to come back to Ilkeston and see their doctor. The next morning when I did so, all the doctor said was because I only threw it up once he wasnt going to help me. He felt my stomach and because It was tender, he gave me a prescription for some tablets because I had stomach inflammation. Still to this day I have no clue what is wrong with me. Ive rang 111 and my GP and still no help. Me and my mother are absolutely disgusted. Usually MIU are top notch and helped me lots in the past. This needs sorting. The doctors attitude was disgusting.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Ilkeston Community Hospital

Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit to Ilkeston Hospital MIU. I am pleased that you were treated well by the nurse and receptionist you saw there and have been well treated in the past. I was very concerned to hear that when you returned to Ilkeston Hospital to see the 111 doctor that you did not have your condition diagnosed and were not reassured. The 111 doctor is not actually employed by us but we can discuss how we can pass on your comments and how you can complain. I would be very grateful if you would contact us (Patient Experience Team 01773 525119) so we can advise you on the best way forward. We look forward to hearing from you. Lisa Hallam, Patient Support Officer, Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful