"Poor care after knee replacement surgery"

About: Good Hope Hospital

I had a knee replacement operation in May 2013, at Good Hospital Birmingham. Although I am happy with the results of my operation, I am not happy with the treatment I received. I was asked to attend a pre op Joint School and was asked what anaesthetic I wanted. I was told about the various options, however I stated quite categorically that I only wanted general anaesthetic. I woke up after my operation in considerable pain in my back and loss of feeling in my leg. I was informed I had been given a spinal anaesthetic. I really was not happy about this, as I had specifically stated I did not want this. That night the pain in my back was excruciating, and although I buzzed for pain relief, it took that long to come that I was reduced to tears. Eventually a nurse came to me, shoved a morphine stick in my mouth and dashed off. All this without speaking to me. I found the nursing staff who cared for me on the ward were horrible. One or two of the nurses actually had the cheek to make fun of one lady who was having difficulty getting used to walking again. Also the food was absolutely disgusting and the ward was filthy. I saw a cleaner actually sweep stuff under the beds rather than pick it up. A few days after my operation, a physiotherapist came to me and told me that I was scheduled for some physio at 3.00. I informed her my visitors were coming at that time and we only had an hour. She remarked that I could see my visitors at any time when I was discharged, but I did not have to have the physio if I considered them more important than my recovery. I was furious at her attitude and I did not go for the session as when people make an effort to come to visit you in hospital it is only fitting you should be there. On the morning of my discharge, a nurse came and told me that I was expected to attend my doctors surgery the following week to have my staples removed. I asked her how I was expected to get there, as I could not walk and was told I had to rest my knee for 3 weeks. She said if I hadn't got a lift I could get a taxi, I was not happy about this and informed her I would not go to the surgery. She then arranged for a district nurse to come out. Later that day the same nurse came to change my dressing, as she took the dressing off me, my knee began to bleed, she made no attempt to clean it and put a fresh dressing on, I was sent home with a dressing that was saturated with blood, even the taxi driver showed concern. I have contacted the hospital and patient service about his matter, but have been totally ignored.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››