"Complete failure in management very poor on EAU..."

About: Yeovil District Hospital

I took my father to A E on Monday morning 1st September. My fathers heart had gone out of rhythm and pulse rate rather high. He was seen relatively quickly and by a Foundation Junior Doctor. This junior Doctor was very pleasent but clearly inexpereinced. She kept on relaying her actions and findings to a more senior doctor. At no time was my father seen by a senior doctor but every aspect of his care was carried out by the Junior Doctor. I find this unaceptable. The senior Doctor should have a least made her self known to my father and taken a direct interest in his care rather than one that is on the side lines. My observations while waiting with my father on "Majors" in AE was that was the general way the care for most of the patients was being conducted. All pateints have the right to be seen by experienced doctors rather than being uesd as nothing more than as a teaching tool for the Junior doctors. The amount of Juniors clearly out wayed the senior doctors. The senior doctor that was clearly teaching the Foundation doctor dealing with my fathers care spent some of her time permantely attached a mug either drinking tea or coffeee. My father should have been seen by the Senior doctor but unfortuinately this never happened during the six hours spent in AE. I had to leave my father at 12 p.m and gave my home number and mobile number to the AE nurses who wrote the details on my fathers notes. I had not heard anything from the department so I rang at 2.30pm to be told he had been moved to the EAU ward. No one from the AE department bothered to inform me of the developements.I tried to ring the EAU ward but no one answered. I then rang Clinical Governance and made a verbal complaint. They duly appologised and got a nurse from the EAU ward to inform me of my fathers status. At 5 pm I went to see my father on the EAU ward. He had further blood tests taken at 6 pm. Depending on the results my father would either be discharged or stay in over night. The blood tests results came back at 7.15 pm. The staff nurse told us he would be staying over night because the bloods indicated a raised enzyme count. This was then duly over turned by a Junior doctor informing us the levels were raised but are ok under the circumstances. So we were told he was to be discharged. Three quater of an hour later no one had come to discharge my father or to remove the canular from his arm. I asked two nurses and two doctors for the discharge and for them to arrange the removal of the canular, however we were told every one was too busy. We were ignored. An hour later we were told by the duty doctor that we could not have any discharge notes or medication to take home because the doctor in the afternoon had not signed the authorisation. 48 hrs later we still have no discharge notes from the hospital. My fathers GP has sorted out the medication which was failed by the hospital. Thats shocking. The management on the EAU was appalling, the staff arrogant and dismisive.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Yeovil District Hospital

We are very sorry to read your comments and would very much appreciate if you could call our Patient Experience Team on 07825111993 to discuss your concerns. The care that you describe is not as we would expect and we would welcome the opportunity to talk to you about your experience.

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful