"Patronising GP"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services

(as a parent/guardian),

I visited the GP today for my 4 month baby son. I was there for two reasons. I have come to understand that, when it comes to babies, GPs seem to have a standard answer that they are too young to assess x, y & z. Making trips to the GP in my opinion is an utter waste of time. However this is not what bothered me today. When describing a symptom to the GP, that both myself and my husband could feel my sons chest rattle when holding him, she instantly dismissed me, stating that this was impossible, continuing to describe the placement of the lungs within the body, which I am well aware of. I told her so and also that regardless we can definitely feel his chest rattle when holding him. She just kept talking over me disregarding what I was saying.

She then began a conversation about my last visit regarding my sons skin, talking about lotions, her attitude was that it would clear depending on how many times you can be bothered to apply the lotion. Who says that to a mother? I am obviously 'bothered' or I would not have taken my son to the doctors in the first place. That is no attitude to have as a GP.

The days of "I'm the doctor I know best" are well and truly over. This Dr did not seem to have a clue. She clearly thought she was better than me. She has no idea about me or my background. I am sick of GPs dismissing people and getting away with it. I am posting this and making a formal complaint against the said doctor.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Laura Jack, Patient Affairs Manager, Primary Care Division, NHS Lanarkshire

picture of Laura Jack

Dear Annoyed parent,

I’m sorry to read about your experience at the GP Practice today – I can fully appreciate your frustration. I will bring your concerns to the attention of Dr Gregor Smith, Medical Director (Primary Care, NHS Lanarkshire).

If you are still concerned about your son’s health you may wish to consider seeing a different GP at the Practice for second opinion.

You’ve mentioned that you are raising a formal complaint against the GP however you may wish to consider speaking with the Practice Manager in the first instance to discuss your concerns. If you do wish to make a complaint you can contact the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) at your local Citizens Advice Bureau by telephoning 0800 22 44 88 or visit www.cas.org.uk who can provide support or advice around raising a concern or making a complaint.

Best wishes


  • Annoyed parent thinks this response is helpful
    {{helpful-1}} other {{helpful-1 == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} so too

Updates, changes and questions related to this story