"I need a lot more help"

About: Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health

I would say to anyone with mental health problems: do not come to Cumbria. I don't know what kind of 'service' they think they're providing, but I feel it is barely functioning. I was referred by my doctor in February and finally got an appointment with a counsellor in August.

I think it's plain to both of us that I need a lot more help than a few sessions chatting with a counsellor. Where is the back up if you go into meltdown in between sessions? What happens when a well meaning counsellor unearths some awful stuff that has affected you on a deeply psychological level? Sweet FA as far as I have experienced.

When I was referred I came from a backgound of psychological disorder. I was told that yes I'd benefit from seeing 'the' psychologist (do you really only have one! ) but that seeing someone for 'mild to moderate depression' with First step was a better idea. I don't even have depression. And I suspect the three year waiting list for psychological therapies was more the reason for dumping me on First Step than it actually being though in any way beneficial for me.

Response from Customer Services Manager, Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust would like to thank you for this feedback as we value all feedback and are continually looking at how we can improve the services provided by the Trust.

If you wish to discuss the concerns you have raised regarding accessing mental health services with a member of our Patient Experience Team; they can be contacted at PET@cumbria.nhs.uk or call 01228 602128, freephone 0800 633 55 47 or by text to 07827 312 699. This would allow for a representative of the First Step service to answer any questions you may have surrounding the suitability of this service in supporting your individual care need and also to provide you with answers to any other concerns you may have about Mental Health Services In Cumbria.

Thank you again, for providing this feedback.

• fuzzywuzzy doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} other {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} think it is helpful

Response from Customer Services Manager, Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Thank you for drawing this issue to our attention. We are currently reviewing all of our mental health services in Cumbria and would like to assure you that your comments will help to inform this work.

If you would like to discuss specific aspects of your care with one of our senior clinicians, we can arrange that for you through our Patient Experience Team. Please contact us at PET@cumbria.nhs.uk or call 01228 602128, Freephone 0800 633 55 47 or by text to 07827 312 699.

Thank you again for providing us with this feedback