"Failure to notify of cancelled admission for back surgery"

About: Royal Gwent Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

(as a relative),

Arrived at Royal Gwent, ward D7 East as instructed at 7.00 am Wednesday for admission for surgery on prolapsed disc, to be informed very bluntly by a nurse that the ward was in breach and that I should have phoned before we left home.

She was very rude to us and would not explain what she meant by the ward being in breach.

The ward sister was a bit more sympathetic and took time to explain that no admissions had been possible since the previous weekend.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Julian Hayman, Internal Communications Manager, Communications, Aneurin Bevan Health Board

Hello melfrommachen,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback via the Patient Opinion site.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board welcomes any compliments, comments or suggestions that may help to improve NHS services across the board.

The people who look after your health will do their best to make sure you are treated properly and promptly. However, healthcare is a busy and complex environment. Despite every effort being made to achieve the very best for patients, in a small minority of cases, problems occur or the services may fail to live up to expectations.

If at any time you feel dissatisfied with the treatment or care you have received you have a right to raise a concern. You can email your concern directly to the Putting Things Right Team at Puttingthingsright.ABHB@wales.nhs.uk

Please include the following information in your email:

•your full name


•telephone number

•the name and address of the patient (if you are emailing on behalf of someone else)

•and where necessary, the next of kin


Sharon Harford

This is not an emergency service. The Putting Things Right team operates within the hours of 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday and will respond to your email within one working day.

Or, if you would prefer to talk to someone about your concern you can telephone the Call Centre on 01495 745656. The Call Centre staff will take details of your concern and ensure this information is passed on to the most appropriate person and dealt with promptly.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful