"Treatment of my best friend."

About: Peterborough City Hospital

My best friend suffers with asthma she was struggling for breath, inhalers were not helping so she went to a and e waited to see somebody and they told her she was having a panic attack. She pleaded with them to give her a nebuliser but they refused and sent her home. About 3 hours later that evening she was worse and could no longer string more than a few words without struggling for breath. An ambulance was called and she was given back to back nebulisers of two different medications in the ambulance. They took her to boston. They went through their list of checks and determined there was nothing wrong. Big mistake they didn't do a blood gas. If they had they would've seen straight away her blood co2 through the roof and she would've never got close to the point I'm about to explain. They discharged her at 5.30am after she fell over trying to stand, couldn't pull herself up from the floor and the nurses response was 'now you're just being silly aren't you'. She said she couldn't breathe. The nurse then said 'we've done everything (they hadn't done a blood has) what do you want us to do?' My best friend said find out what's wrong with me. The nurse tutted and walked off. About 11am the same morning she went to her gp he gave her more nebulisers back to back and he phoned an ambulance when they were ineffective. The ambulance took her back to Boston pilgrim as she didn't want to go near pch. She was put straight onto back to back nebulisers in a and e which were ineffective and finally a doctor decided to do a blood gas. They have their own test equipment next door in resus so within 45s of taking it they were back wheeling her into resus. Her body was basically suffocating itself slowly as she couldn't breathe out the co2. In the next few hours they gave her everything they had 3 times and at 9.30pm she was giving up and unresponsive in my arms. Itu wouldn't move her to incubate her because she was too unstable. I thought the end was coming but finally something clicked and she started to slowly perk up. At midnight they moved her to the critical care unit continuing back to back nebulisers and blood gas tests. She was also on pure oxygen throughout this. 2 days later she came off the critical list into high dependency then into a normal ward the day after and we brought her home that evening. She hasn't smoked since the problems started so some good has come from it. My experiences of it also made me realisei don't want her to see me like that (I've had kidney failiure since 2008) and I decided there and then to put myself forward for transplant. Her lungs are permanently scarred and won't fully recover. Had Peterborough done a blood gas and gave her the proper care she should've had they would've cured it and not got close to the point she did. Thank god she pulled through.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Annette Parker, Care Quality Strategic Support Manager, Care Quality, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for writing about your friend's very frightening experience. I would be keen to follow up any care given to your friend in PCH Emergency Department. Please email me at annette.parker@pbh-tr.nhs.uk. I hope your friend continues to recover.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful