"Extreamly unhappy"

About: Manor Hospital

I visited this hospital on Tuesday 29th July at 19:30 because my 6 year old had fallen off the swing on Sunday and hit his chest on the floor . I explained this to the nurse who first checked my son and was told that he may not have broken a bone and it may just be mucel swelling. My son at this point was finding it hard to breath in and out due to the pain in his chest. I was disappointed that no pain relief was given but I am not one moan so I took him home and gave him colpol to help with his pain as he was very distressed by the pain. After about an hour of putting my son to sleep he woke up again in a lot of pain , as I was now very worried about my son I then returned back to A&E about 23:50. I explained to the receptionist that I have already been here today but my son his now very distressed and in more pain in his chest . The receptionist made a note of my son details and I was asked to wait in the waiting area which I know is normal. After a while we were called in by a nurse to get my son checked my the nurse first . We were asked to take a seat back in the waiting area for a doctor to look at my son again normal procedures , about now the time was 00:45. There did not seem to be much of a rush in A&E that evening or should I say early hours of the morning . At 01:30 I went back to the receptionist to ask how long is it going to be before a doctor see my son , I was told she dose not know , so I sat back down . All this time whilst I was waiting I had to control my sons breathing my self by ensuring him its going to be ok . At around about 14:00 there was no body at A&E so I stared wondering what is going on . I thought that priorites would be given due to age and conditions of patients , this was surely not the case. I went back to the receptionints and by now my son had cried him self to sleep so I could not move him as he was already in pain. I asked the receptionid how long till the doctors comes to see my son . The receptionist told me to go through the double doors and turn right and ask the nurse their . I explained that my son was asleep and I would not be able to do that as I do not wont to wake up due to his pain in his chest . the receptionist just looked at me and said nothing . I felt so upset ,why did the receptionist just ask them I was not going to leave my son by him self asleep on the chairs in A&E when no one else was their (how dangerous). At 02 :30 I had about enough. I woke my son up and went to find a nurse , I came across a lovely nurse, she could not belive that my son had not been seen yet. she went to the desk where there were nurses sitting and asked them what was going on she told them he is a young child with chest pain why as he not been seen yet . The doctor came and spoke to my son and I was confused when he asked me what would I like him to do for my son. That was it for me I had been there for 3 hours what for, you could see they forgot about my son so I walked out to his GP.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Manor Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We're sorry to read about your experience in our Emergency Department. Could you please give our Patient Relations Team a call on 01922 656436 we would like to learn more about your specific care. Regards.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful