"Catalogue of Errors"

About: Diana, Princess Of Wales Hospital

The date I have given is only the first date I was admitted to hospital. I had two more occasions to attend the hospital. I am sad to say that because of a catalogue of errors caused by the administration of the hospital, I ended up in excruciating pain and absent from work for several weeks. I had my gall bladder operation cancelled due to all the information on my records being incorrect. In the time it took to issue me with a new appointment I ended up being taken into hospital by ambulance with acute pancreatitis as a gall stone had now entered the bile duct. I was astonished at the confusion and contradictory actions of the staff. It was not only myself I was concerned for but the things lacking for the other patients, especially the elderly. The surgeon, however was excellent but even he couldn't understand why my op had been cancelled. He was expecting me! My time in the hospital is not something I will forget. When I returned home, after 10 days I still had not had the results of my MRI scan that I was told I would get on the day I left hospital. Nobody seemed able to issue a sick note. Finally when I continuously asked for the appointment I was promised within 2 weeks (and didn't get), I got 2! The Day Care Unit (which was where I should have had my operation in the first place, but was told it was me that had it all wrong even though I had it in writing) were absolutely brilliant, as was the surgical team. However, due to breathing difficulties I had to return to A and E. This was another unusual experience. The poor doctor was exhausted. I was in resus for half an hour and when he came to see me he said he had been sent to the wrong place. I was yet again admitted as my blood test came back positive and there was fear of a clot. After another week in hospital only one doctor showed concern about my breathing. Everyone else was looking for abdominal pain (which I didn't have). I kept being promised scans that didn't happen for a few days. When I did have my CT scan the tourniquet had been left on my arm for 2 hours where the cannula had been put in (I never noticed because I was worried about the scan, but neither did anyone else until I got into the CT room). I recall a look or horror on the radiologists face when I told him it must have been on that long. The CT began but the dye wouldn't go through, I was in agony and my arm looked like it belonged to the incredible hulk. I needed sedating for the next go. Nothing much happened for the next 3 days, so after finally getting the ultrasound scan I was told I would get when I was admitted, I asked to go home as I was receiving no treatment for my problem. I was discharged with a letter saying I had had abdominal pain (I gave up) I have been to PALS, but still haven't had a reply. I went for my check up to be told I needed my gall bladder removing! Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Diana, Princess Of Wales Hospital

Hello, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We would very much like to look into this futher and will need to take some more details from you in order to do so. Please could I ask you to contact one of the managers in the surgery department, Claire Jenkinson? You can email her on c.jenkinson@nhs.net or alternatively ring her secretary on 01472 874111 ext 2468. Kind regards, Sarah

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful