"my mums care after a stroke"

About: City Hospital campus / Neurology

(as a relative),

My mum suffered a stroke at about midnight one Saturday night. My father realised this and called the ambulance straight away. It arrived quite quickly.

There was then a discussion by the crew as to where to take her and it was decided to take her to the stroke unit at the Nottm City Hospital. She should have had immediate treatment and an injection which helps recovery, the staff on duty wouldn't wake the doctor to come and see her so the crucial time for this passed.

She was bed bound from that day and was paralysed down her left side.

We feel the lack of treatment contributed to poor quality of life and would like to make a complaint.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Stroke Association, Stroke Association

Dear JTAY.

We noticed your post and thought you may be interested to hear about the work of the Stroke Association and how we may be able to support you and your mum. Stroke Association is the leading charity in the UK changing the world for people affected by stroke.

Our Stroke Helpline is there for anyone who has been affected by stroke in any way. You may want to know more about stroke and its effects, be looking for practical information and support, or simply someone to talk to. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 0303 30 33 100. You can also email us at info@stroke.org.uk. We also have a range of services across the UK, providing information, advice and support to stroke survivors and their families. You can find out if there is a service in your mum's area by contacting the Helpline.

We were sorry to hear of your mum's stroke and that you feel she did not receive good care. It may be helpful to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS is an independent organisation, there to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible. You can telephone PALS at Nottingham City Hospital on 0800 18 30 204.

Finally, you can also find lots of information about stroke on our website at www.stroke.org.uk. You can read about our services, read or listen to other people’s experiences and download all of our publications free of charge. There is news about our campaigns to improve services for stroke survivors, national and local events and our research programmes. You can also join the Talkstroke discussion group where you can share your experiences with other people who have been affected by stroke.

I hope that this is helpful and that your mum is now getting the support that she needs to make the best recovery possible.

Stroke Information Service


Stroke Association staff are not medically trained and the information provided does not replace information given to you by your own healthcare provider.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Acting Patient Information Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

We are sorry to hear about your mother, and we hope she is getting all the support she needs. We would welcome the opportunity to help you look into any aspect of her care at our hospital that you are unhappy with. To talk directly to us about this or any other matter, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). You can do this by email to PALS@nuh.nhs.uk, by telephone on 0800 183 0204 or by writing to NUH NHS Trust, c/o PALS, Freepost, NEA 14614, Nottingham NG7 1BR.