About: University Hospital Aintree / Urology

(as the patient),

I have seen 4 consultants regarding my condition, over the last 5 and a half years and tried dozens of medications with no improvement other than good old Ibuprofen which has a short life and has a few nasty side effects, bleeding of bowel and stomach when used too regularly.

After a couple of consultations with my current Urologist and an exploratory operation some inflammation was found and it was decided for me to have an Ultrasound guided injection of Betamethasone and a pain killer. I explained to my Consultant that the only thing that would be of help was the Betamethasone as its an anti inflammatory and worked well with a similar injection for epididymitis and had more or less cured that condition.

After I'd had the procedure I was in a lot of pain for a week or two and couldn't understand why there was no relief at all and I paid for a private consultancy to check why this should be. I then found out that they did not inject the Betamethasone and only the painkiller, which was pretty much useless as I have a strong resistance to painkillers due to taking codeine every day.

Ive had to endure a further six months of unnecessary pain and further poor quality of life due to this but I don't really know what to do about it or who to complain to.

I am in and was treated in the Merseyside area.

I don't want any compensation, I just want the proper procedure to be performed, the one I agreed with my consultant, as quickly as possible as I figure I am owed this at the very least.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from University Hospital Aintree

Dear Mr Marx Thank you for taking time to post these comments on your experience. Apologies for the delay but for some reason, this is dated in the middle of last year, but has only just appeared on the NHS Choices website. We will raise this with NHS Choices web team. As such, we don't know your current situation. Could we suggest that you contact our Patient Advice and Complaints Team if you need to take things further regarding care at Aintree - you can reach them at http://www.aintreehospitals.nhs.uk/PatientInformation/Patient-Advice-and-Complaints-Team/Pages/default.aspx

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful