"mental health Dr not interested and doesn't listen"

I am my brothers carer as he has serious issues talking to people and meeting people we was referred to mental.health team as he had a drug and alcohol problem and when he seemed help it became clear this was due to an underlying issue he had off the scale adhd as a child and was medicated for this but when he became an adult he seemed to get forgotten about now he has stopped the drugs and alcohol it's apparent that his issues from a child.have got worse he is unable.to turn his brain off to.sleep he struggles to concentrate on tasks he does everything at 100 miles an hour he cannot go.into a shop alone. We explained all this to the doctor that we sore and he wouldn't listen he said it was my brothers personality he wouldn't recognise he had adhd so we have gone threw medications that do not work for him he still can't sleep he is at the point that he don't want to live like this anymore I have researched and adult adhd does exist so why won't they listen and diagnose him.properly the medication worked as a child . All he wants is someone to.listen to him when he is trying to.tell.you what it's like being him he feels the health service don't care about him and wouldn't care if he was dead. Not happy about the treatment we have recieved at all I don't want to be demanding answers when he is dead I want them now.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Alderney Hospital

“Thank you for writing to us. We are extremely concerned about the issues you have raised regarding the care your brother has received from our services. If you would like to talk about your concerns further then please contact Rachel Small, Service Manager on 01202 305062. If your brother is still feeling unwell we urge you to contact the duty worker from the Alderney CMHT on the above number who will be able to support him. If you would like further support with your complaint from a 3rd party organisation, then please contact the Dorset Advocacy who is a free, independent service on 0300 343 7000.”

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful