"Eye opening, awful experience"

About: Darent Valley Hospital

I have been suffering with UTI's for over 6 weeks & after 4 different courses of antibiotics prescribed by a local walk-in centre & eventually acute kidney pain, I was rushed into Darent hospital last Monday morning after doctors at the walk-in became concerned about the level of pain I was in. When arriving at the hospital I was in so much pain that I was seen fairly quickly. I had my blood taken from a nurse who hit a nerve & was extremely unconcerned telling me to 'shhh' when I screamed. I was given pain relief by a doctor who registered my symptoms and sat me back in A&E. I waited until the DR returned to tell me I needed a CT. I moved to this department where I was releaved to find a comfortable chair as the painrelief had made me drowsy. Over 2hrs later I was taken for my CT & told to sit back in A&E & await results. 2hrs later, a doctor returned to tell me the CT was clear, prescribed me more antibiotics & sent me home. Needless to say, once the pain relief had fully worn off, I awoke with acute pain in my lower back which led to an ambulance rushing me back to Darent. I waited for over an hour, to the point where I was crying in agony on the A&E floor to finally be seen by the 'triage staff' who asked very calmly "how they could be of service today". Upon realising I'd been in A&E twice in 2 days & that, even after the morphine the paramedics had given me, the pain was worsening, I was found a bed. The doctor thought it was my appendix 'referring my pain' to the other side & wanted to prepare me for surgery, also mentioning an urgent need for an ultrasound. I was taken to CDU where a nurse who was concerned about why I wasn't admitted the previous day came to see me. After a couple of hrs I still hadn't seen a doctor & when a man with a trolley offered me food, I accepted having not eaten all day. Halfway through my sandwich a nurse returned to tell me I wasn't allowed to eat as I was 'nil by mouth' which I hadn't been told & wasn't aware of, having never been in hospital before. By this point the pain was starting to return, but as I hadn't been 'clarked' I was turned down pain relief. I waited 6hrs for the surgeons to arrive (at 1am) who quickly dismissed the fact it was my appendix & said I needed the medical team. At 4am the medical team came, prescribing me IV antibiotics for a kidney infection & admitting me. By Friday I still had no ultra sound, no further testing & at 8am was told I was being discharged, giving me antibiotics & referring me to the urologist as a matter or urgency. By 6pm, my medication was (finally) ready & I left. I'm yet to receive any updates about the urologist. This hospital is overpopulated, understaffed & worrying & I will be scared to ever return in another emergency as I felt not enough was done & the painrelief they gave me was just disguising the bigger problem. Other patients around me were in the same boat & many unhappy & concerned about the service being provided here.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Darent Valley Hospital

We were very sorry to read of your concerns and we would like to reassure you that Darent Valley Hospital takes all complaints seriously. You mentioned that your UTI problem has been an ongoing issue for quite a while and that identifying the cause has been problematic. We do understand that this can be very frustrating especially if the problem is causing you considerable pain. We would like to investigate your complaint further and would ask that you contact our PALS team on 01322 428382 or via email pals@dvh.nhs.uk in order to enable us to look into this for you. Kind regards The Communication Team Darent Valley Hospital

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful