"Absolutely appalling!"

About: Royal Hampshire County Hospital

I collapsed on Thursday evening with severe abdominal pain which I have previously experienced. On my previous experience I was diagnosed with gallstones, and informed I would need my gallbladder removed. The out of hours GP sent me to the McGill unit with a letter. I arrived there at 10pm and was asked to sit in the waiting room and the nurse would be along to see me in a minute. An hour and a half later a young man appeared to say we would have to go background A&E. My GP referral was never given to me. I saw the triage nurse and then sat in A&E until 4am. In this time I was in agony and was offered paracetamol! If paracetamol would do the trick I would not have been sat in A&E. At 4am I was told to have a sleep on the trolley and wait or the surgeon. I was woken for an x ray and urine sample. I needed to supply a urine sample to make sure I was not pregnant! I had already said I could not be. The surgeon arrived and said we won't operate on you today. A nurse made me walk to the treatment centre still in agony. Once on the ward the surgical team came round at 8.30 and said I needed go on a drip for antibiotics and fluids. I also had to be nil by mouth. This was eventually done by the nurse at midday! She ignored me the rest of the time! The nurse on the afternoon shift was outstanding and should be praised! The night staff were appalling and didn't check on patients! In fact she may have well gone home as another patient pressed buzzer and she never came. The afternoon nurse was back on the following morning, thank goodness! The consultant said he would hopefully operate the following morning. Still nil by mouth! In the afternoon I felt sick and light headed. When I told the nurse she said you have abdominal problems what do you expect. My mother went to ask for a vomit bowl for me and was told by staff sat behind desk chatting that they did not know as they don't normally work here. The night nurse who normally works on ICU was amazing and kind. She woke me at 530am to give me a cold drink of water as I was not allowed water after 6am I was then got ready for theatre only to behold it was cancelled at 9am! I asked to be discharged! The consultant agreed. Six hours later I was still waiting for my discharge letter and medication. I got very cross with the staff and within minutes it appeared! No one wants to take responsibility at this hospital. I will be writing to my consultant and Winchester to make an official complaint

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Royal Hampshire County Hospital

We are sorry to hear that we have failed to meet your expectations. Please contact our Customer Care team on 01256 486766, or email customercare@hhft.nhs.uk to allow us to review your specific circumstances. Mary Edwards Chief Executive Email: mary.edwards@hhft.nhs.uk

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful