"Further to My Previous Review"

Further to my previous review, I felt very frightened during my stay at the Danube Ward. There were alarm bells constantly going off throughout the night, screams and shouts from patients towards nurses, cupboard doors banging, keys clanging- a lot of commotion and noise. It was impossible to get a good night's sleep, let alone have any 'rest and recovery' a patient there should receive. I understand there has to be hourly checks, but the sudden turning-on of the bright lights every hour throughout the night in my room was distressing, and I could always feel the nurses patrolling the corridor and peeking in through the door window to see how I was doing. One of the nurses told me that the previous patient who stayed in my room had smashed the furniture in there. I later noticed that there were fingernail scratch marks all over the windows and the mirror in the bathroom. The window was broken, and I looked below and there were bedsheets and blankets thrown out. There were also red stains on the shower curtains- I was not sure whether it was blood or merely harmless stains- but it was disturbing. The toilet also got blocked at one point, and no one came to fix it. I also felt very distressed by the fact that males (male nurses, male cleaner) would come into my room whilst I am sleeping and not dressed properly. I felt very upset at the lack of privacy. I understand that nurses' jobs can be very stressful, and that they have a lot going on all the time trying to manage all the patients and the administrative goings-on, but I feel that it does not justify them being so rude and unhelpful. I also feel that there is a huge lack of cooperation and communication between the nurses on the ward. One wouldn't know something, ask the other, the other doesn't know, and it ends up with no one knowing what is going on, as there is no record of who has done what. The day I got discharged, I had all my things packed and was ready to go. But I had to get my original medication back that was held by the hospital. I literally waited for 3 hours. I do not understand how a simple task of unlocking a cupboard and handing me over the bag of medication would take hours. I asked several times to difference nurses, and they just said "We'll do it okay." Then I asked a male staff who is very friendly and nice and helpful- he apologised for the wait and said "it'll just be another 15 minutes or so". 15 minutes turned into 2 hours. I was discharged at 2:30pm, and I left the hospital after 5:30pm.Some of the nurses (mainly the male nurses) were friendly and helpful though- they listened to you and would ask how you are and would try to chat to you in a friendly way. The actual doctors and psychiatrists were very very professional, nice, friendly who really tried to help and to listen to your problems though. Yet my boyfriend was told to come at 9:30am one morning to see the doctor, but he ended up waiting for 3 hours until 12:30pm when he was finally seen.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from St Charles Hospital

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention, I will do something about all the points you have raised. Kate Ayres Deputy Service Director for St Charles

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story