"Hospital Feedback"

About: Queen's Hospital (Romford)

In January after 15 hours in a&e my partner was told he had kidney stones after a ct scan was give medication to move the stone, antibiotics said we would have a outpaitents appointment in 4 weeks, The appointment did eventualy come through for April 24th, 4 months later. In Feburary he fell ill again so another 11 hour trip to a&E to be told he didn't have kidney stones and the CT he had in January clearly shows his appendix to be inflamed and that he actually had an inflamed appendix on the previous ct, he was admitted but the consultants could not decide what to do next, Radiology refused to do another ct to confirm so after a 2 night stay on a ward he was discharged. 5th April 2014 - he was in even worse pain than the last 2 times called 999 at around 4am and they told me he wasn't an emergency and to call 111. 111 called the ambulance for us, I could not move him down the stairs on my own as he was in so much pain and could not walk and stuck in the foetus position. arrived at hospital 5.30am, see probably 4 / 5 different doctors in a&E to finally see a surgeon who requested CT which clearly showed inflamed appendix he was admitted to a ward around 1800 for surgery the next morning. day after surgery he was in tremendous pain, swollen tummy, not eating no toilet function. was told its normal. that evening I waited for him to have his morphine before leaving him for the night the nurse come and confirmed she was giving him his morphine as I checked and when he drifted off I left. Next day he text me saying "I've called doctor" tried phoning him no answer phoned the ward if he was ok they advised he has had a comfortable night and not had a peep out of him, I told them that he's asking for a doctor they replied we will check on him this is at 0700 hrs 2 days after opp, I arrived at 0900 he was in the chair in the corner shivering in a t/shirt moaning in pain almost blue if it wasn't for the noise I would of thought he was dead. The man opposite said he had been in the chair all night since 2300 hrs and no one has attended him all night or bothered to cover him or close the window next to him. I'm discussed. After a lot of fuss the sister come and acted quickly as his temperature was so low and looking at his charges said he had not had any pain killers for a day, when I told her the nurse next to her gave him morphine just before I left the previous night the nurse replied no that was anti coagulant, and when she said morpheme she was just having a joke! He was supposed to be on hourly observation but no once checked on him in over 4 hours, he is diabetic and no sliding scale was up for over 8 hours even though he had not eaten now for 4 days. consultant arrived some hour + later to order xray and give drugs / medicine to reduce his swelling, by this time he was violently vomiting Brown / Green stuff once can only imagine where this was coming from. so Much more and I will be making this official.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Queen's Hospital

Thank you for your comment. I am very concerned to hear about your husband’s experience in our hospital. I would like to investigate this further, and if you haven’t done so already, please contact me through our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk. Yours sincerely Flo Panel-Coates Director of Nursing

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story