"An elongated experience of EAD"

About: Colchester General Hospital

I went to the ED as recommended by the ambulance service, having been suffering chest pains. Treatment in the ED was very good, a short wait and then a very full triage and transfer to a cubicle where I saw a doctor who took a history and some blood. I was then taken to x-ray and returned to a cubicle where I was informed that the blood tests needed repeating 6 hours after the onset of pain and so would be there most of the night. We agreed that as the tests would be done around 1am and once the results were back about 45 minutes later, I could go home. My husband was with me and we decided that it would be better to wait for the tests to be done and go home together rather than him coming back in the morning. I then saw another nurse and another doctor and was told I was being moved as it was getting busy. I went to EAD and there the problems started. I was settled in well and had obs done and was told the doctor would be in. This was sometime after 11.30pm. I heard the doctor in the corridor talking about me but he didn't come in. I waited, and soon after 1am asked about the blood tests only to be told that they would be done at 7am and the results would be in at 9. I argued the point and the nurse agreed to repeat the tests and allow me to go home when the results came in. Meanwhile, my husband was trying to doze in one of the very upright chairs, no-one queried why he was still there or whether he should go home. Two hours later I enquired of yet another nurse who said the results would be in in the morning and the doctor would probably look at them then. I said I'd been told I could go home once the results were back and she said the notes weren't there, so maybe the doctor had them. I waited a bit longer and then decided to leave. I explained the position to the sister, no-one realised the doctor hadn't been to see me at all. I said that had he done so and let me know that he had changed the treatment timetable I had agreed with the ED, my husband could have gone home before midnight and I could have settled to sleep. The results weren't available and neither was the doctor, though he was apparently coming to see me once I decided to leave, so I left very disgruntled by the behaviour of the doctor who I was told I had seen but who had talked about me but never to me.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Colchester General Hospital

I apologise you’ve not had a good patient experience. We try really hard to improve our services based on the comments we receive from our patients, their relatives or carers. We would like the opportunity to discuss your experiences more fully and to apologise in person. If you are willing I would appreciate it if I could ask the matron to contact you. Could you email me, using the reference “Comment on Accident and emergency services at RDEE4-Colchester General Hospital at 13/04/2014 19:57:40”, please? Many thanks Paul Searle, Head of Communications Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust info@colchesterhospital.nhs.uk

  • {{helpful}} of {{total()}} people think this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story