"Lack of Care and Compassion - MAU is an awful..."

About: Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske)

My brother was admitted to Casualty Dept at lunchtime with severe abdominal pain and chest pains to the point he could hardly walk. I arrived 2 hrs later to find him stuffed up a corner on his own. The staff were nice but mainly absent, no one explained what was happening and most of them seemed to congregate around the main desk drinking tea and chatting. He moved to MAU after 4 hrs where the lack of care and attention was even worse. The elderly gentleman opposite me was pushed around and manhandled by an "angry/stressed" nurse to the point that her colleagues stepped in to take over. No one explained what was happening with my brother, most of the time there was no one on the ward. The other patients were all elderly except for one. 2 alarms kept sounding on their machines and no one came so I had to keep running off to find nurses who again were all in a room with the door closed drinking tea and chatting. My brothers drip didn't work most of the time - it was "flushed" several times at my request, when staff did appear on the ward they were experts at not making eye contact. He was finally seen by a consultant early evening who asked him to lie back, by this time my brother was in so much pain that he could not lie back and the consultant told him he was "refusing treatment". After a brief explanation from me on my brothers medical history he said he was going to check my brothers records and come back but he never did - I later found out he actually went home after visiting us. I tried several times to find out what was happening with my brother by running up to the main desk in MAU but kept being fobbed off that people were "looking into it behind the scenes and not to worry" Finally I lost my temper and found a nurse who read some of my brothers notes with me, I noticed "refused treatment" in 2 places and I explained that was not actually the case and that he was in so much pain he could not lie back. I requested he was given some pain relief so that he could lie down as he had been sat on the side of the bed for 10hrs in extreme pain (this did not happen), drinks and that she would chase up the consultant to find out what was happening. She told me she would do all of these things, I don't believe any of these were done. The nurse told me my brother would be fine and to go home and get some rest, at 4.30 am I 'rcd a call to come to the hospital, when I arrived there I was told he had died. We have tried to get answers about my brother, he was 49, it transpires they thought he had indigestion when actually he had a sever infection that was killing him and a symptom of the infection is you cant lie back. In the 12 hrs he was there complaining of chest pains, and xray was not performed until midnight. All I can say is do not leave anyone in that place alone, stay with them the whole time, hassle the nurses and doctors, if they tell you they are fine and to go home do not listen, my biggest mistake was believing he was in safe hands

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Updates, changes and questions related to this story