"very unhappy"

About: Queen's Medical Centre

I came in for a gallbladder (laparoscopic cholecystectomy) which should have been a one day procedure. Ended up with me being in hospital for just over a week as I caught a high fever and pneumonia. Not only that but when I was running a high temp of nearly 40c, during the night, I was sweating a massive amount and my bed was soaking and although I was 'hot' I felt very cold cos I was in wet bed linen. I asked the nurse several times during the night but it fell on deaf ears. I had to get out of the bed, change in to my cloth I brought with me and sat in the chair covered with towels to keep warm. Not only that, but I had a cannula in my right elbow joint which was held in place with a large bandage as sticky tape would no longer hold it in place. I told the day and night nurse many many times that it was soaking and was feeling very irritated, and I could see from lifting the bandage slightly that it was causing a rash (photographed). It was a day and a half before anyone decided to replace it, and this was only because they tried to inject antibiotic and it was coming through the bandage onto my leg and I said "there, you see what I mean!".. and at that point they called someone to change the cannula.. when they took off the bandage it was very red, inflamed and sore (photographed). It got to the point towards the end of my stay that I gave up the will to live, in a way, as I was fed up in pressing the button and requesting this and that.. if they acted on the first calling I wouldn't have to have kept ringing and reminding them of the soaking bed, the cannula etc. I was also unable to speak to a doctor directly at any length about the op or any post operation treatment or aftercare.. there was no aftercare! I was told to take a painkiller for 2 weeks but they only gave me enough for 4 days! when I was leaving, as in walking out after having my discharge papers, they called me back saying I had to see the dietician, I then said "do you want me to go back to my bed", they said "yes". As I was walking back someone from the ward I was in shouted out "...he doesn't need to see the dietician, he can go".. I couldn't leave fast enough.. I felt tiny, insignificant, troublesome etc.. I hated it in there... the hospital made me ill! I only went in for a laparoscopy, a one day procedure.. they gave me no reason how I could have caught a fever & pneumonia, nothing... they just said (the registrar) "his white blood count is coming down, he can go today...." so impersonal.. undignified. I left with a very bad impression of hospitals and the treatment withing and the awful hierachie within... you lost your dignity, your own self control, your freedom, it felt like a prison and I couldn't weait to get out, despite the bad pain I was in.. hate to think how the older generati

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to write this. We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the care you received at our hospital, and with the attitude and behaviour of the staff looking after you. We apologise to you for any distress and unnecessary discomfort caused and we will be looking into all of the concerns you raise. To help us investigate exactly what happened and put right anything which went wrong, we would like to know which ward you were treated on and the date you were with us. Please get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), either by email to PALS@nuh.nhs.uk or by telephoning 0800 018 0204 to discuss your experiences further and help us investigate what happened. As a Trust we are committed to learning from complaints and concerns and your feedback helps us to do this. We would be grateful for any additional information you can give us.

Updates, changes and questions related to this story