"Was good once we got to Willow ward....."

About: Darent Valley Hospital

My doctor told me something was out of ordinary with my daughter and I was sent to Darent Valley. I was in A&E and saw a doctor who was dismissive of everything I said, whilst smirking told me it was just a cold and sent me on my way. I mean if the doctor said shes OK, then I must just be being paranoid I thought. Well the next day she was worse so I took her back to A&E knowing the doctor would send me there anyway. So again the same man laughed at me and my mother and told me it was a cold and sent me on my way again,. so I know my daughters an ill baby and I know I could be paranoid so I went home again. The next day I took her to a walk in centre who told me to take her to A&E so I went there again, the same man laughed at me again and sent me home again. I convinced myself I was paranoid and went home. The next day I phoned NHS direct who were talking to me about where to take her, coincidentally my sister came running in because my daughter had woken up from a nap and was jerking and shaking and couldnt breathe. The woman on the phone told me if I could get to the hospital quicker than an ambulance then do so. So I raced to A&E as I knew something was seriously wrong, to get into childrens A&E to be told to take a seat. I told them she couldn't breathe and the receptionist told me to take a seat. This has been going on a while now and Im getting frustrated so I ask every parent in the waiting room if their child is able to breathe - in which half of them reply yes and the other half look at me blankly. So then a nurse tells me to wait my turn. The frustration got the better of me so I found any staff member I could and started shouting. I should be embarassed but I wasn't. This lead to me making a scene in the waiting room and finally a nurse came over to her. She laid her down realised something was very wrong. All of a sudden there's two nurses and a doctor around me and I am told my daughter is very ill and needs antibiotics and other things ASAP. So they drug her up with whatever they did ( they didnt tell me) then once she was stable we went to willow ward. Still in the dark about what was going on and what was wrong with her - I asked every nurse I could see who told me they didn't know. I know they did because when I looked at the clipboards one had left in the room it said Septicaemia - at this stage they know how many times I came to A&E.I was there for 1 week, by the way only mothers that breast feed are allowed breakfast. So finally she is making progress - doctor takes 4 hours to emerge every morning.I come to a review with consultant at the end. I told him of my problems. in which he told me within a couple of days she would of probably died. I told him what had happened, in which his response was 'thank you for persevering' somes it up really doesn't it? Willow ward staff some are lovely some not so great but the fact that if I hadn't of shouting down the waiting room down - who knows? Yeah ... great

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Darent Valley Hospital

Dear Hannah We are deeply concerned to hear of your distressing experience at Darent Valley Hospital. With your permission we would very much like to investigate this matter further and would like to meet with you. Please would you be kind enough to contact us via our PALS department on 01322 428382 or email pals@dvh.nhs.uk. Please be assured that we have taken your comments very seriously and thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your situation. Kind regards Samantha Elden-Lee, Nurse Consultant Emergency Department

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story