"Ward 26"

About: University Hospital Of North Tees

Well where do I start? My father was admitted to ward 26 a couple of weeks ago on Tuesday, having had to wait four weeks for consultants to decide what the best thing to do for my dad, who had been in lots of pain, extremely high temperatures, collapsing and gone as yellow as homer simpson. Told he would be going for cat scan to see where blockage in liver was with view to inserting a stent. No food before scan which took place at 2pmish. Sandwich was put aside for later. Return from scan to be told had to have ultrasound at 5 so no food until after that. After 5 no scan as forgot. Looked for sandwich put away and someone had eaten it. No food all day so had to make do with sandwich not liked, and cold soup!! Next day supposed to have ultrasound missed form previous night. Man came and took dad to ward for scan, and discovered that it was an endoscopy he was having, and not an ultrasound as was told! Had camera in but could not put in stent. Told he would have to endure again another day as different surgeon can go in a different way. Might be next day, or might send him home for weekend and back in next week. (Dad still yellow, sickly and very poorly). Next day taking dad back down for endoscopy. Put in stent, and also outside drain to help quickly relieve the poison in his bloodstream. Visited dad on afternoon and he was in extreme pain, struggling to breath. Asked nurse what had happened in operation and they couldn't tell me properly, only giving half a story. Was told he had been given paracetamol 20 minutes previously, however as my dad had been sick straight after they would not be in system. Nurse said we have to wait! Spoke to different nurse as wanted to find out how op had gone. They managed to get a doctor to come and see us to explain. The doctor might I say was lovely, and explained everything that had been done, and what the next steps were. (Luckily she was free as the nurses had not a clue! Doctor also prescribed dad morphine for pain which I was told would be sorted immediately. An hour later still not received! Bag attached to side needs changing regularly but despite asking for change nobody turned up and bag split causing bed change, and clothes, not to mention moving my extremely In pain dad. (This happened on a number of occasions including while I was visiting so dad started keeping notes as to when and who he asked, and how long it took). Also meds not given on time, and due to extreme pain was not working effectively because too long left in between, causing to go out of system, and taking time to get back in. Dad had bag removed and discharged for now, but even that was a joke. 2pm ready to go, then had to wait downstairs in not comfortable chair until 6.30PM before meds given and discharged!!! Utter disgrace. Dad now re-admitted after being delirious and high temperature again, think infection!! Im scared for him to be in here, want to come and look after him myself. Absolute disgrace, and no care or cooperation!!

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from University Hospital Of North Tees

We’re sorry you feel let down by your dad’s care and we’d very much welcome the opportunity to talk to you about this. You can do this by asking to speak to the nurse in charge or by contacting our patient experience team at Patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story