"Forever waiting"

I have recently been "diagnosed" with visceral hypersensitivity. A bit like IBS; everything's sensitive and irritated. I was referred to the horton about a year ago, with constant stomach pain and digestive distress (and that's as graphic as I'll get). But unfortunately my doctor had referred me to the wrong department, not the horton's fault. I was referred for a fainting episode when in reality what I was worried about was the stomach trouble. I was referred to gastro shortly after. 2 months after referral was my first appt, when they ordered some tests. These turned up nothing. 3 months later, go back. Tell them symptoms are still an issue. Get given a different medicine and told to give it another 3 months. Luckily for me, it did actually work. Now, my doctor initially told me that the gastro referral was put through as "urgent" because of the level of pain, and that this would mean I would be seen within two weeks. The gastro dr said that this was false. Finally in January of this year the "diagnosis" was given, and I was basically told to stay on these meds and got sent a diet sheet. Which took over a month to arrive. So in the past year, what's been achieved was this general and vague diagnosis with no specific treatment, and one tweak of my medication. And for this, I've had to retake a year of A-levels, because my pain prevented me studying properly. This didn't need a year, it could have been over after the tests came up negative. Why did I have to keep going back and being told "just keep taking the meds for another three months" before they eventually said "yep, its like sensitive skin, but sensitive innards". If they did not have the capacity to provide proper expedient treatment, then I should have been told. I would have gone elsewhere for treatment had I known how long this would take and all the faffing and the lies that would be involved. The waiting isn't just in gastro; try the A&E some time, you won't be seen within 5 hours except by a patronising triage nurse. I remember breaking my wrist and going there. The treatment was fabulous once it got under way. I sat in A&E with my dad for 4 hours, then waited for another hour for x-ray, then 30 mins for results of x-ray. After that, it all went very quickly. I understand emergencies are what A&E is for, but also "accidents" like trips or broken bones. I think horton is a great place for treatment, so long as you can wait around until they're ready to treat you.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Horton General Hospital

Thank you for your comments regarding your treatment at the Horton General Hospital. I am very sorry that your experiences have not met the standard you could expect. We would be very happy to investigate the issues you have raised and provide you with a response. If you would like us to do this, please do not hesitate to contact Sarah Atkins on 01865 223260 or at sarah.atkins@ouh.nhs.uk who will be happy to discuss the complaint process with you.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story