"I went to my gp at 5.30pm and ..."

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

(as the patient),

What I liked

I went to my gp at 5.30pm and was immediately sent to hospital with a suspected stroke, i waited a while to see a triage nurse, and was then told to take a seat in the waiting area.About 10pm i was taken into a cubicle and after 30 mins transfered to the observation ward, it was midnight before i was seen by a doctor who said a ct scan would be done first thing in the morning, at 4am i was woken to be transfered to lowton ward. I was seen by a doctor at 9.30am who said i would go for a ct scan, after telling a nurse that my mother had suffered a stroke,and that my father had died from a brain tumour after being admitted with a suspected stroke and waiting nearley a week for a scan i finally went for a scan about 1pm, i was told i would get the results in a couple of hours. I was seen by a nurse off the stroke unit who said i would be transfered to the unit, i was taken down at 4pm but brought straight back because of a mix up. i was finally transfered at 9pm that evening.The following morning i was seen by a doctor who said he had still not got the results of my scan,at about 3.30pm i asked a nurse what was happening with me, i was told they were still waiting for my scan results, when i questioned this he looked in my records and saw that i could be discharged as my results were clear.I was then told i was waiting for some medication and would be discharged about 6pm, when i asked what medication he went to check and came back and told me i did'nt need any and could go home.

What could be improved

waiting time, for a suspected emergency was poor, departments need to talk to each other more.

Anything else?

after looking at information on suspected strokes, which tells us minutes count, i find it hard to beleive that i waited 6hrs to see a doctor,and 19 hrs to have a scan, with the fact that my father died from a brain tumour in my head you can understand that i was very worried about the length of time i waited. My father waited nearley a week for a scan and died within 6 weeks of becoming ill, a week could have made a differance.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››