"Children's ward chaos"

About: Frimley Park Hospital (Frimley)

My grandson was treated extremely well in A and E for what was thought to be severe croup. Once transferred to the children's ward one nurse excelled herself with kindness and professionalism whilst the doctors and consulant failed to recognise the seriousness of the situation. The doctor repeated an adrenaline nebuliser many times and continued to state that she had already given over the recommended amount. As my grandson became more and more distressed and unable to breath the doctor asked for a toy to quieten him! At this point the nurse pointed out he needed oxygen not a toy as he was going blue and his heart rate was over 200. At last the decision was made to send him to the intensive care unit in Southampton. He was rescued by an excellent team,intubated and his airway secured for the journey. This was now the day after his admission to Frimley. He remained in the Picu for only 24 hours where he received intravenous antibiotics for an as yet undiagnosed infection and as he had come round and pulled out his own airway was assumed to be better! We were then told he would go to the children's ward but half an hour later this changed and he was transferred back to Frimley by the Picu nurse. Now the real nightmare began. The consultant came round and gaily said he could go home later and come back daily for his Intravenous antibiotics. I pointed out that his heart rate was getting lower and he was drowsy and unable to talk and said that Southampton had said he would stay for at least 5 days for observation. She backed down. My grandson now continued to deteriorate, unable to swallow, eat or drink. Eventually the doctor put a drip up as he was getting dehydrated. My grandson now developed a terrible headache so the doctor prescribed I'V paracetamol. The nurse did not check his identity or follow proper procedures and once out of the room the alarm continued to go off due to air bubbles in the drip. The nurse was called back several times to rectify it. Later the doctor came to inform us that a Drug Error had been made but not to worry it wasn't fatal! Friday came and my grandson had not passed urine and his heart rate was in the 50's. The nurses and doctors were constantly asked to help. My daughter rang me distraught that the heart alarm was constantly going off as his heart rate was now in the 40' s and the nurse had turned down the alarm parameter as it was disturbing everyone. I told her to demand the consultant came immediately. My grandson was rescued back to Southampton intensive care again. He had SWINE flu, parainfluenza ,bacterial pneumonia. Frimley hadn't checked his swab results so was not treated My grandsons brother also got swine flu and probably other children on the ward as he was not barrier nursed.A consultant was rude,uncaring and delayed decision making. I am writing this as my daughter is too traumatised to think about it. I am filing a formal complaint hoping that no other family goes through this horrendous ordeal.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Updates, changes and questions related to this story