"Horrible experience in a/e"

About: New Cross Hospital

My husband was admitted by ambulance as fast positive because of slurred speech. Triaged as unwell adult. Left for over three hours without being seen and was then going to be sent home. My daughter and I refused to take him home. He then had a ct scan which showed he had had a stroke. The complaint process was not adhered to and my complaint is still with the parliamentary health Service ombudsman. The care on the ward was excellent but the amount of dishonest statements that have been stated are unbelievable. The care in a/ e was worse than in the third world. We had to clean my husband up and go looking for a nurse for some analgesia.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from New Cross Hospital

Thank you for posting your comments regarding the experience relating to your husband's care in our Emergency Department. If you would like to discuss this further, could I ask you to contact either myself on 01902 695363 or the Complaints Manager on 01902 695115. Kindest regards Jamie Emery Patient Experience Lead

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Stroke Association, Stroke Association

We noticed your post and thought you may be interested to hear about the work of the Stroke Association and how we may be able to support you. Stroke Association is the leading charity in the UK changing the world for people affected by stroke.

Our Stroke Helpline is there for anyone who has been affected by stroke in any way. You may want to know more about stroke and its effects, be looking for practical information and support, or simply someone to talk to. The Stroke Helpline is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 0303 30 33 100. You can also email us at info@stroke.org.uk. We also have a range of services across the UK, providing information, advice and support to stroke survivors and their families. You can find out if there is a service in your area by contacting the Helpline.

We were sorry to hear of your husband’s stroke and that you feel he did not receive good care, and how you feel the complaints procedure was not followed appropriately. It sounds as though your complaint is being looked at by the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman, but if you felt you would like additional support, you can also contact the NHS Complaints Advocacy Service, who may be able to help with your complaint. You can contact them on 0300 330 5454, or by email them at nhscomplaints@voiceability.org. You can also find out more about them and how they might be able to help by visiting their website: http://nhscomplaintsadvocacy.org/

Finally, you can also find lots of information about stroke on our website at www.stroke.org.uk. You can read about our services, read or listen to other people’s experiences and download all of our publications free of charge. There is news about our campaigns to improve services for stroke survivors, national and local events and our research programmes. You can also join the Talkstroke discussion group where you can share your experiences with other people who have been affected by stroke.

I hope that this is helpful and that you and your husband are now getting the support that you need.

Kindest regards

Stroke Information Service


Stroke Association staff are not medically trained and the information provided does not replace information given to you by your own healthcare provider.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story