"low standards of care and cleanliness."

About: Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske)

I went to visit my stepfather in this hospital on the 17th of january, little did i know that this would be the start of his last few days alive. Upon entering the ward he was on, carnkie ward, i was met with a sauna like heat, that was almost intolerable, the single room he had been placed in was no better. My stepdad was in bed with the windows closed and curtains drawn, his bed faced a bland dirty looking wall with a ticking clock on it. I could see immediately that he was painfully uncomfortable and distressed. My brother and I pulled back the curtains and tried to see if the windows could be opened but they appeared to be broken, despite alerting staff of this, nothing was done until about twenty minutes before our visit ended, we were there for roughly three hours. A maintence worker finally came and forced the windows open, we were told if my stepdad would like them closed again later he only had to alert a nurse and they would call an on call maintenece worker to come and close them, a ladder and some strength being needed for the job. I was told by my mum that he ended up waiting a good two hours after requesting them to be closed that evening before it was actually done. Besides these occurrences on my visit I also observed the following, my stepdads oxygen line kept falling out, it having barely enough lead to it to reach comfortably round his ears and be fixed into his nose. He was constantly struggling to replace this his self. He also could not reach his call button, the lead on this being too short aswell, I located it at the back of the bed behind him, where he could not possibly reach it for himself. The door was constantly left open even when we were there with him, we closed it at one point, only to be questioned as to why, as if we had no right to some privacy with him. The ward was constantly very noisy with a staff radio blaring out at high volume close to my stepdads room. My stepdad just wanted to come home and kept repeating that this was what he wanted, the doctor told us it could be done but not immediately, that he would need to wait a couple of days or more, so it could be arranged and some home care put in place, I said to my stepdad 'at least its not a no' but he replied 'they've been saying that for days' he was distraught and tearful. As far as my stepdads condition is concerned it seems to me that not enough wad done to find out exactly what was wrong, scans they said were needed were not done, with the excuse that he was not well enough for them to be performed. He was having blood taken daily for testing,it was leaving his arms bruised, he had had enough of them, they weren't giving any more insight into his condition. We were told during my visit that his remaining time left could only be measured in days and that they could do no more. We managed to get him home a couple days later by costly private ambulance as they had no idea when they would be able to move him. A further two days later he died.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske)

We do take any concerns about standards of care seriously and would wish to have an opportunity to look into the issues you have raised and to respond directly. We hope that you will fee able to contact either our Patient Advice and Liaison Service or the Divisional Nurse for Medicine - 01872 250000.

Updates, changes and questions related to this story