"Urology experience at Eastbourne"

About: Eastbourne District General Hospital / Urology

(as the patient),

attended for urethrotomy, just before I went to theatre I was advised I could have chosen a urethroplasty, a much more invasive op but at this late stage I had no choice, I hd made arrangements with family friends etc

after the op I had to wait 3hrs on a trolley in recovery due to no beds for me to recover on the ward, finally transferred to seaford ward, but due to short staff and no beds was left for 8 hrs in uau ( urology version of a&e) fed a dry sandwich and with a patient with dementia screaming next door to me, another patient opposite me screaming, disused equipment on the chair next to me, my drip hung off the patientline tv as no one could find. dripstand, and no cabinet or storage for my things.

It was grim, dangerously understaffed, my catheter bag full, I rang for help and eventually the man in the next bed got the only trained member of staff on duty.

After 8 hours of screaming on the ward, misery and feeling awful I was moved to the ward, again only one member of trained staff and 1 hca for 8 beds, it was quieter but not great.

in the morning after no sleep I went to the bathroom to find the toilet covered in faeces, faeces on the floor and urine and blood on the sink, I flagged it to a member of staff. In the morning I was told I could remove my catheter and go home once I had passed urine and had an ultrasound, 3 hours later my catheter was removed I was given 3 bottle to urinate in and told I would have an ultrasound. Before I could do this I was told they needed the bed as recovery was busy and I should pack up my things and wait to finish my urine samples ( still in my pyjamas and full of painkillers) in the waiting area, no one came back, after30 minutes of full bladder/ empty bladder waiting for the ultrasound the one nurse and 2 hcas were checking in another patient, I went to reception and advised I would leave as I had been left on my own and my partner was coming to take me home, she replied ' ok' that was it,

I phone later to check what I should do and why follow up care I needed as nothing had been explained, the staff apologised and advised me to contact my gp if needed.

The few staff on duty were marvellous, this was my first time as an inpatient and my experience at eastbourne was horrendous, frightening and painful, the hospital is a disgrace, filthy, understaffed and badly managed. I am now recovering at home, if I ever need any further treatment I will ask to be referred outside of the area.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Eastbourne District General Hospital

We apologsie if just before you went to theatre you were advised that you could have chosen a urethroplasty. It is normal practice to be given all the options prior to the day of surgery and then for options to be confirmed when consent is obtained when options may have been changed. Unfortunately from the information provided we are unable to outline why you were given this information inappropriately late. It is not our preferred choice of recovery for patients to be nursed on a trolley for the period of time as you describe. We apologise for the patient experience you have outlined which is not acceptable and you should have received the appropriate information for follow up care after discharge which did not happen. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact our PALs department on (01323) 435886.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story