"My 16 year old son has been dizzy for three and a half years and we need help"

About: Nottingham City PCT Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

(as a relative),

My son is almost 17 now and has been extremely dizzy for three and a half years. He has been out of school for this time, albeit receiving some home education, but not enough to even take GCSEs, let alone achieve any. Although the home education was outstanding, his non achieving was due to the state he is in.

I feel he is now on some scrap heap for the rest of his days. His problem also is, he seems to have severe phobias about anything medical. Therefore, will not go to the doctors/dentist etc for fear of fainting. His last visit to the dentist was when he was about 11/12 and he now desperately needs dental treatment.

He feels very ill if someone mentions needles, and not just for half an hour or so – he can be ill for days after. He has fainted at home at the sight of a sowing needle, passed out at school during a biology lesson, was very ill when he knew he had to have the TB jab and was off school, therefore did not receive it. These are just a few examples of what his life is like.

He also has asthma, which results in breathing difficulties from time to time - but cannot bring himself to go out, let alone go to the doctors for a check up. I am so worried about what will happen when he runs out of inhalers, which could be soon, what do i do? It seems to be a desperate situation for me.

He is supposed to be under the local mental health team, but the wheels there turn very, very slowly. I feel he is not bothered with, can someone please, please help. There must be someone out there who can help and who knows what to do.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Charlotte Lawson-Braley, Support and Development Manager, Principia

Dear Mary, I was concerned to hear about your son, I know you son feels unable to visit his GP but perhaps you could visit his GP on his behalf. As a healthcare professional, your GP will be able to offer advice and support and will be able to put you into contact with other professionals. If you do have concerns with the level of care you son is receiving from the local mental health team than Amanda or Sally at the Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALs) will be able to help you their contact details are below. Nottinghamshire Healthcare PALS Officer Amanda Ingham and PALS Support Officer Sally Pope can be contacted on 0800 015 3367 during office hours. For out of hours and times when Amanda and Sally are out of the office there is an answer machine. PALS can also be contacted by email. Should you wish to write to PALS, the address is: PALS Duncan Macmillan House Porchester Road, Nottingham NG3 6AA Regards, Charlotte
  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Response from Paul Sanguinazzi, Head of Involvement and Experience, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

picture of Paul  Sanguinazzi

Thank you for providing this feedback on our services. It is important to us that people tell us about their experiences so that we can improve our services. Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust has only signed up to Patient Opinion recently so we have only now seen your post.

We are very sorry to hear about your son’s experiences and hope that things have progressed since this post and your son has received some help from services.

Has your son been seen by a mental health team now? If he has, we would appreciate any further feedback on the service received.

If there are still any outstanding issues please contact PALS on 0800 015 3367 or pals@nottshc.nhs.uk and we will be happy to discuss it with you.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful