"More about targets than Nursing"

About: Kettering General Hospital

My son was admitted on the 25th July and was given a 5% chance of coming out from Lamport ward. Despite this a few weeks later (over August bank holiday) they suddenly decided to send him home to his second floor flat where he had to manage a full flight of stairs to get to his front door, when we and he asked about some form of home care we were told only if we paid for it! The hospital was stopped from sending him home after intervention by his GP and outside agencies. He was discharged over a week later with just an ICT team looking after him at home. A few weeks later, again via A&E, he was admitted to Middleton Ward and then back to Lamport all because he got mixed up with his medication and had overdosed. I do not have the space to go into the details of his care on this ward but enough to say that for two days we were told he would not talk to anyone. It was not until we threatened to move him to another hospital because he was in a semi coma that something was done. 24 hours later he was conscious and talked as though nothing had happened. Again, all of a sudden, we were told he was being discharged, we tried everything to stop this as we knew he was not fit to go back to his flat. He was still sent home being unable to pass water unless laid on his right hand side-they had “not had time” to investigate the cause. He went to live at his mother’s old terraced house with an 18” front step, steep stairs and a bathroom etc on the ground floor because at least he had someone with him. A few days later he was blue lighted back to A&E in severe pain and not able to pass water. I feel due to the 4 hour scale, he was fitted with a catheter and sent home to await an outpatients appointment. A few days later the catheter started to bypass we called the district nurse who on arrival asked for “his spares” as it was a Sunday and she had no access to any. He was not given any at A&E, she did her best to clear the problem but said if it happens again she can do no more it would be back to A&E. On the 17th November he was rushed into A&E and then again onto Middleton Ward and after refusing to go back onto Lamport Ward he was moved to Lilford Ward where he passed away on the 25th November aged 36. We submitted a formal complaint before he passed and whilst being promised a reply we still waiting despite reassurances before Christmas that the situation was concluded by KGH. I must commend the staff on Lilford ward who were followed a close second by those on Middleton, as for the staff on Lamport-when the chips were down they were brilliant but most of the time seemed under too much pressure to be able to be “nurses who had time to nurse” and talk with family. KGH seems far too occupied with meeting targets than nursing the sick and that is NOT the nurses fault. Why an abundance of Dyson fans and hand driers around the Hospital, I can only hope that they were donated and not paid for out of my taxes!! This above covers July to November 2013

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Kettering General Hospital

We are sorry to hear of your experiences and thank you for your feedback. Feedback from our patients and their relatives helps us improve the service and treatment we provide our patients. Please be assured we are investigating your concerns at present and will be in contact with you when our investigation is complete.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story