"Lovely Staff watch for Thieves as No Security..."

About: Lister Hospital

Although Not always in control of Meds fluids etc due to waiting on Doctors Decisions. I was in a routine appointment in outpatients and was sent straight to A & E there i was seen by 4 Doctors and sent for an X-ray and sent straight for emergency surgery on an umbilical Hernia. I was taken onto the ward at 9pm Tuesday night ,I had not eaten anything ( A banana) since 11 am that morning so was nil by mouth , The surgery was then scheduled for the morning I was put on fluids intravenously that night and given pain relief. Next day I was prepped for surgery and was taken off fluids and sat waiting till 1pm and the Consultant who I had previously seen in A&E came round to see me he again tired to manipulate the hermia back in as he had done Before causing me a great deal of pain . To me laying there it felt like he thought I shouldn't be in the pain I was in with the hernia he wasn't very nice and almost like I shouldn't be there . He then postponed the Op and send me for a CT Scan at 4pm that day . Still not having had fluids all day I was very tired and had a very bad headache. I was taken by a porter to the Ct Scan and left there in a surgical gown in a room full of otehr patients most of whom were nicely wrapped up from the cold after coming in from the outside . I sat there freezing before being taken into the scan . Then was taken back out and sat waiting for the porter to take me back for 30 minutes. By the time I got back to the ward I had a migraine and was sick once back in my bed. I had family visit and they were very concerned for my health at this point as the nurses could not get word back from the doctor weather i could have any fluids. At 9pm that night i was finally allowed to have clear fluids orally . I had not eaten since Tuesday Morning at 11 am . And had not been on any fluids since the night before. I was very dehydrated and felt awful. At 1 am that morning I was told I was on the list for Surgery the next morning either 1st or 2nd down as they had reviewed the Ct Scan. By 4 pm the next day and waiting for surgery all day I was told by the Consultant that he was very sorry that I wasnt going down that day but they had put me on the List for the Friday and The weekend for emergency surgery as I had a Double Hernia and it wasn't what he first thought. I was on fluids by this time so felt better and they finally let me eat at 6 pm that night until midnight.Friday Morning A new consultant came into see me and he was lovely ,Very understanding and I was in surgery within the next hour, All Great You think well it was until I came out and then we realised that a stranger had come in off the street and had stolen my Phone and Purse from my bag which the lady opposite was watching for me. She had sat in my bay and waited for me and spoke to the lady and made her believe she was my sister who was waiting for me to come out of surgery she then went through my things. Police are investiagating! Devastated doesnt cover it .

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Lister Hospital

Many thanks for the detailed account of your time recently at the Lister, which will be shared with the relevant staff teams. As you will know from the report in the Mercury newspaper in which you were quoted extensively at the time, the Trust is co-operating fully with the police on the matter of the stolen purse - we hope they catch the thieves.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story