"Worst medical experience of my life."

About: Wexham Park Hospital

Anything else?

After a traffic related accident on the M4 (Dec 3rd), I was brought to the emergency unit by ambulance. I was in severe pain from broken ribs and tried to explain that to the staff in the emergency unit. It was very difficult, because my breathing, and hence talking, was significantly impaired and staff did not take the time to listen. I was painfully yanked up onto a bed and left to myself in an assessment room. After a while, I was brought to a curtained cubicle in a larger common area for further assessment. In this cubicle, there were used medical equipment and a tray full of vomit left from a prior patient. Again, I was left to myself. Behind closed curtains. For a long time. Without pain relief. From time to time, member of staff popped by to take blood pressure and get a brief summary of the accident. I believe more than 7. Some of them very obviously without much medical experience and clearly not briefed about my status. After more than an hour behind the curtains, I was in so much pain, I could not control my breathing anymore, so I started screaming out of simple pain. Still, it took a long time before I received pain relief. The staff kept saying it was on the way. It was briefly examined. Was quick scanned in a rushly manor, and had some x-rays taken. I have had broken my ribs before and explained the staff again and again, that I could very clearly feel the fractures. A young doctor said, that I might have broken one. Shortky after, she was overruled by a superior doctor, who concluded, that there were no fractures. I was fine, and just a bit bruised. I was given more pain relief and admitted for the night in a single room within close proximity of the emergency unit. At 1 AM I was removed from that room and placed behind closed curtains in a common area. With no possibility of getting in contact with staff. The day after, I was briefly seen by a consultant, who concluded that I was fine, no fractures, no issues apart from the bruising. Again, I explained my point of view and shared that I could clearly see blood in my urine when visiting the toilet. Again, I was overruled and was forced by the consultant to make arrangements for the discharge. I contacted my insurance company to get me home to Denmark. They needed a ‘fit to fly’ statement from the consultant before they could help me make proper arrangements. It took many attempts and several hours to get the consultant’s attention. Apart from a few really friendly nurses, it was nearly impossible to get into contact with the staff. The consultant was nothing but arrogant and indifferent. I was discharged, with the status ‘bruised’ and nothing but over the counter pain killers. Upon arrival home, I went straight to the emergency room, where I was immediately admitted. They found, that I had three very visibly broken ribs, internal bleeding from spleen and left kidney and damages on my ventricle. For 5 days, I was hospitalised for observation and treatment.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Wexham Park Hospital

We are sorry to hear of your concerns regarding you recent admission following an attendance at the Accident and Emergency Department. We would like the opportunity to look into this further. If you would like us to do so, please contact our Patient Relations team on 01753 634081 or via email patientrelations@hwph-tr.nhs.uk with further information and your details. In the meantime we hope that you are recovering well.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story