"no further on"

About: Salford Royal

Anything else?

i eventually got to see the consultant i was referred to back in may at the end of september after my referral being lost several times. he referred me or physio at another hospitl and said i needed handson treatment as well as self care. have seen the physio in rochdale twice they have said there is no mention of treatment in consultants letter and they can only give me exercises. i am no further on seven months down the line and am still in lain and am having to see a private physio yet again.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Salford Royal

Thank you for your further comments. It is regrettable that your referral was never received by Salford Royal prior to August; however, I am pleased to note that you could be offered an appointment much sooner than would have been expected for a referral received in August. I understand that you feel frustrated after attending this consultation not to be any further on with your care, but from the information you have provided above, it would appear that the neurosurgeon you saw believed conservative management was indicated by your condition. Surgery would usually only be indicated in a limited number of cases, with most patients benefiting from conservative management, such as input from physiotherapists. If conservative management is indicated, there will usually be no further need for a surgeon to keep a patient under review, as surgeons themselves typically only offer surgical treatments. As such, they will discharge patients back to the care of their GP. They will if needed refer a patient to physiotherapy but it is not for the surgeon to prescribe a treatment plan. The physiotherapists are the experts in this area and will assess the patient and recommend appropriate exercises etc. If a physiotherapist has any doubts about the treatment they are giving, it is usual for them to contact the referring surgeon should they wish. If you are not happy with what appears to be the opinion that conservative management of your symptoms should be pursued, you can ask your GP to refer you for a second opinion. If you experience any new symptoms or deterioration in your existing symptoms, you should also contact your GP for further advice.

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story