"Stop and Listen. Stereotype or judge because of..."

About: Princess Royal Hospital (Haywards Heath)

Anything else?

On the 9/11/13, around 9:30am, our daughter (Shadia) had a bad epileptic seizure at our home in Burgess hill; she fell down from the middle of the stairs. She took a long time, about half an hour to recognise us and to remember where she was. The paramedic suggested us to take her to the A & E at the Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath. We explained to the paramedic that she missed her breakfast and her medication. Also she is in transition period of changing her medication. She was in the A & E from 10am till 9pm and had about seven seizures before she was treated for the reason that she was in there in the first place. After the hand over from the ambulance people, Shadia had another seizure during that time. I explain the staff that she missed her medication this morning and she had no food inside her. They gave her a drip and put her in the resuscitation room. She had another fit. They gave her another drip; I requested them to give her medication intravenously they refused. They wanted her to have medication orally. Later they gave her a toast, she managed to have half of it, and then they gave her the medicine orally. Within twenty minutes she was vomited, presumably took the medicine out. The doctor in charge then suggested the nurses to walk her to the family room and rest for an hour before they discharge her. He reassured me that she was fine and the medication will kick in now. On the way to the family room she was sick again and couldn't stand up. The nurses sit her on the chair and asked the doctor to put her back to the bed for observation, they (nurses) believed that her face was white as a sheet and she was not ready to go home. One of the nurses gave her a biscuit to eat; shadia had it and said, “I feel sick and my head hearts”. Within a minute she had another seizure. Around 6pm the doctor told us that the doctor from hospital will come and admit her for over night. The hospital doctor tried to have a chit chat with us, tried to take blood from her hand (even after repeatedly saying that it was difficult to find vain in best of time). Shadia was screaming and saying, “Stop pocking me, my head hearts”. I told her that the staff already took blood and you could use that for your purpose. The doctor kept saying that I need fresh blood for different reasons. During this argument, within a few minutes shadia had another seizure. I was very upset and demanded them to give her medication intravenously. The staffs rushed back her to the resuscitation room, where she had another violent seizure. My husband witnessed that because I was removed from the scene. Only after that episode they decided to scan her head and treat her accordingly. Around 7pm she was given her original medicine intravenously and also given other necessary medication that was needed to help her recovery. I believe that we could have saved these entire traumas if only the doctors listened. Our daughter lost a day of her life that she hardly can remember.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››


Response from Princess Royal Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact our Patient Advice & liaison Service (PALS) at pals@bush.nhs.uk or on 01273 664973.

Kind regards

Patient Experience Team

  • {{helpful}} {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} this response is helpful

Updates, changes and questions related to this story